May 8, 2012, 2:30 PM EDT
Stephen Curry wanted to get back on the court this season, but five weeks of rehab on his recurring sprained ankle could not get it done. He had to go back under the knife.
Curry didn’t talk with the media through the rehab process or after the surgery in April, that was until last weekend when he broke the silence to the San Francisco Chronicle (via CSNBayArea.com).
“It was a tough one. I went through diligent rehab for five weeks, but I ran out of time to return this season,” Curry said from a charity event in Oakland. “We didn’t want any questions going into next year, so I could play with a clear mind….”
He expects to be fully healthy when training camp opens in October, something he couldn’t have said with confidence before the latest surgery. Curry had surgery to repair the outside two ligaments in the ankle last May, but he re-injured the ankle in December and missed 40 games, including the final 28, with five severe ankle sprains.
Curry wanted to avoid a second surgery, but he and team’s medical staff came to mutual agreement near the end of the season that a procedure was needed to identify the source of the recurring sprains. He had been told that the two surgically repaired ligaments were fine and that the new problem was most likely the tendon at the bottom of the foot.
The Warriors are banking on Curry and newly acquired center Andrew Bogut (fractured left ankle) being healthy and ready to go next fall. If those two can stay healthy, play close to their potential and blend in with Klay Thompson, David Lee and the rest of the roster the Warriors could be a playoff team in the West.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 65
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 14
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32