May 8, 2012, 6:33 PM EDT
DEERFIELD, Ill. — Chicago Bulls center Joakim Noah shot free throws without a brace on his sprained left ankle at shootaround and is a game-time decision for Game 5 Tuesday against the Philadelphia 76ers.
Omer Asik will start regardless of whether Noah, who was still walking with a limp, plays. The Bulls are down 3-1 in their first-round Eastern Conference playoff series against the eighth-seed 76ers and could be eliminated Tuesday night.
“We’ll see, maybe it gets better from now until tonight,” Bulls coach Tom Thibodeau said.
After Derrick Rose tore his ACL with just over a minute to play in Game 1 of the Chicago-Philadelphia series, the Bulls have lost three straight games to put them on the brink of elimination, and Noah’s injury has made things that much more dire for the Eastern Conference’s #1 seed.
Asik averaged 3.1 points, 5.3 rebounds, and 1.0 blocks per game in 14.7 minutes per game for the Chicago this season. We’ll see if the Bulls can fight back with no Rose and a very limited Noah to save their season and make it to a Game 6 in the first round.
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 0
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 31
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8