Mike Brown says that stupid idea to intentionally lose Game 5 to get Metta World Peace back is stupid
May 8, 2012, 5:36 PM EDT
Here’s the situation: if the Lakers-Nuggets series goes to six games, Metta World Peace‘s suspension would end, and he would be able to appear in either Game 7 of the Lakers-Nuggets series or, more importantly, Game 1 of the Lakers-Thunder series if the Lakers ended up beating the Nuggets. Naturally, some people have been wondering if the Lakers should intentionally lose Game 5 against the Nuggets, because people will wonder just about anything, and Mike Brown had a predictable response to those wonderings. From ESPN Los Angeles’ Dave McMenamin:
Would the Lakers actually be better off losing Game 5 and extending the series against Denver so that World Peace would be in the lineup to defend Kevin Durant from the jump in the Thunder series?
“Two guys told me that (Monday), they said that the Twitter world is suggesting that we do that,” [Lakers coach Mike Brown] said after shootaround on Tuesday. “That we lose (Game 5) so that we can extend the series to get Metta World Peace back. I’m not even going to answer that. To me, that’s a joke. When they said that to me, I just laughed.”
I wish I had something profound to add to that, but I don’t. Brown is exactly right: the idea of intentionally losing a playoff game for any reason should be treated as an absolute joke. Not having Mr. World Peace in the lineup would make Game 1 of the Thunder series tougher for the Lakers to win, but you never intentionally miss a chance to close out a playoff series. Ever. Too many things can happen in a playoff series to look past a team, and right now the Lakers have to be thinking of the Nuggets as their only target.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 0
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 3
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 27
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Draymond Green helped hold Anthony Davis in relative check 4
- Cavaliers’ Kevin Love out for entire conference semifinals (likely vs. Bulls) 9
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: LeBron got his shots despite good Celtics defense 3
- PBT Extra: For how long should J.R. Smith be suspended? 34
- Report: If Kevin Love leaves Cavaliers, Lakers are team to beat in free agency 32