Mike Brown says that stupid idea to intentionally lose Game 5 to get Metta World Peace back is stupid
May 8, 2012, 5:36 PM EDT
Here’s the situation: if the Lakers-Nuggets series goes to six games, Metta World Peace‘s suspension would end, and he would be able to appear in either Game 7 of the Lakers-Nuggets series or, more importantly, Game 1 of the Lakers-Thunder series if the Lakers ended up beating the Nuggets. Naturally, some people have been wondering if the Lakers should intentionally lose Game 5 against the Nuggets, because people will wonder just about anything, and Mike Brown had a predictable response to those wonderings. From ESPN Los Angeles’ Dave McMenamin:
Would the Lakers actually be better off losing Game 5 and extending the series against Denver so that World Peace would be in the lineup to defend Kevin Durant from the jump in the Thunder series?
“Two guys told me that (Monday), they said that the Twitter world is suggesting that we do that,” [Lakers coach Mike Brown] said after shootaround on Tuesday. “That we lose (Game 5) so that we can extend the series to get Metta World Peace back. I’m not even going to answer that. To me, that’s a joke. When they said that to me, I just laughed.”
I wish I had something profound to add to that, but I don’t. Brown is exactly right: the idea of intentionally losing a playoff game for any reason should be treated as an absolute joke. Not having Mr. World Peace in the lineup would make Game 1 of the Thunder series tougher for the Lakers to win, but you never intentionally miss a chance to close out a playoff series. Ever. Too many things can happen in a playoff series to look past a team, and right now the Lakers have to be thinking of the Nuggets as their only target.
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 1
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 36
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 38