May 8, 2012, 8:06 AM EDT
The Bobcats are apparently talking to all the top assistants at the front of the line for a head-coaching job. First Mike Malone of Golden State, then soon Brian Shaw of Indiana (when his team’s playoff run ends)…
And now add Patrick Ewing of the Orlando Magic. So reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo.
The Bobcats are working to set up a meeting with Ewing once the Magic are finished in the Eastern Conference playoffs.
Ewing is a close friend of Charlotte owner Michael Jordan, and several sources believe the Hall of Fame center will turn out to be a serious candidate for the opening. Charlotte will make pitches to Golden State Warriors assistant Mike Malone and former Portland Trail Blazers coach Nate McMillan, but will likely hire its next coach from a pool of candidates like Ewing who have been less in demand for head-coaching jobs.
The Magic should be finished and they can talk to Ewing very soon.
Clearly the Bobcats are focused on a first time head coach — one happy to have the job and who will not complain about the talent on the roster or how long it will take to turn things around. Or how much money the team is willing to spend. Or pay him. Or about anything else on the long list of issues with the Bobcats.
We will see if that first time coach is the former Knicks center. Ewing will get a shot as the top spot someday, somewhere. He would take the Bobcats job right now, if for no other reason than to get away from the soap opera in Orlando. One way or another his day will come.
- Brothers allege entourage of Damian Lillard beat them for taking his picture 7
- Amar’e Stoudemire still thinks Knicks’ front court trio can work 15
- Report: Dwight Howard not going to Clippers… did we need a report for that? 16
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” 51
- Spurs shut down Zach Randolph in Western Conference Finals’ first major strategic move 2
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (105)
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (86)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (64)
- Live Extra: Watch Blackhawks-Red Wings Game 3
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Dickey goes 8, beats Rays for 2nd straight win
- PST: Mourinho officially leaving Real Madrid
- PHT: Stalberg returns to Hawks' lineup for Game 3
- PHT: Hawks look to boost intensity vs. Wings
- PFT: Brady says he's 'never felt better' throwing the ball
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay