May 8, 2012, 8:06 AM EDT
The Bobcats are apparently talking to all the top assistants at the front of the line for a head-coaching job. First Mike Malone of Golden State, then soon Brian Shaw of Indiana (when his team’s playoff run ends)…
And now add Patrick Ewing of the Orlando Magic. So reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo.
The Bobcats are working to set up a meeting with Ewing once the Magic are finished in the Eastern Conference playoffs.
Ewing is a close friend of Charlotte owner Michael Jordan, and several sources believe the Hall of Fame center will turn out to be a serious candidate for the opening. Charlotte will make pitches to Golden State Warriors assistant Mike Malone and former Portland Trail Blazers coach Nate McMillan, but will likely hire its next coach from a pool of candidates like Ewing who have been less in demand for head-coaching jobs.
The Magic should be finished and they can talk to Ewing very soon.
Clearly the Bobcats are focused on a first time head coach — one happy to have the job and who will not complain about the talent on the roster or how long it will take to turn things around. Or how much money the team is willing to spend. Or pay him. Or about anything else on the long list of issues with the Bobcats.
We will see if that first time coach is the former Knicks center. Ewing will get a shot as the top spot someday, somewhere. He would take the Bobcats job right now, if for no other reason than to get away from the soap opera in Orlando. One way or another his day will come.
- Spurs reset franchise for post Tim Duncan life in one impressive week 17
- Report: Lakers, Pacers reach deal to trade Roy Hibbert to LA 55
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 85
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 43
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 48
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 58
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19