May 8, 2012, 8:06 AM EDT
The Bobcats are apparently talking to all the top assistants at the front of the line for a head-coaching job. First Mike Malone of Golden State, then soon Brian Shaw of Indiana (when his team’s playoff run ends)…
And now add Patrick Ewing of the Orlando Magic. So reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo.
The Bobcats are working to set up a meeting with Ewing once the Magic are finished in the Eastern Conference playoffs.
Ewing is a close friend of Charlotte owner Michael Jordan, and several sources believe the Hall of Fame center will turn out to be a serious candidate for the opening. Charlotte will make pitches to Golden State Warriors assistant Mike Malone and former Portland Trail Blazers coach Nate McMillan, but will likely hire its next coach from a pool of candidates like Ewing who have been less in demand for head-coaching jobs.
The Magic should be finished and they can talk to Ewing very soon.
Clearly the Bobcats are focused on a first time head coach — one happy to have the job and who will not complain about the talent on the roster or how long it will take to turn things around. Or how much money the team is willing to spend. Or pay him. Or about anything else on the long list of issues with the Bobcats.
We will see if that first time coach is the former Knicks center. Ewing will get a shot as the top spot someday, somewhere. He would take the Bobcats job right now, if for no other reason than to get away from the soap opera in Orlando. One way or another his day will come.
- Charlotte is scrappy but Heat have too much in comfortable 99-88 win 0
- Spurs use huge 4th quarter run to come back and win Game 1 vs. Mavericks 6
- NBA issues statement saying Chris Paul was fouled before late-game turnover against Warriors 13
- Jim Buss says he’ll step down if Lakers aren’t contenders again in ‘three to four years’ 29
- Thunder start fast, cruise to Game 1 win over Grizzlies 4