May 7, 2012, 7:45 PM EDT
It is one of the iconic moments we remember of Michael Jordan — his game-winning playoff shot to beat the Cleveland Cavaliers, where he is fading left but is able to hang in the air until Craig Ehlo slides past. He buried the hero shot under pressure. He leaps in the air and we all have a memory (and Nike has a commercial).
What’s amazing is we think of this as part of Jordan’s legacy, but the Bulls had not won a title when this happened and wouldn’t for a couple of years. The Pistons were the best team in the East and Jordan was hearing about how he was great in the regular season but couldn’t close it out in the biggest games on the biggest stages. Amazing how legacies change.
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 16
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 23
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9