May 7, 2012, 7:50 AM EDT
Sorry Bulls’ fans, But Game 5 against the 76ers Tuesday could look a lot like Game 4, just with different logos on the floor. And that’s not good.
All season, we kept talking about how the Bulls embodied “team.” And that is true. Up to a point. But the fact of the matter is talent wins at all levels of basketball and all the beautiful sets and crisp execution in the world can’t make up for a massive talent disparity.
Put simply, if you take two All-Stars off any team, they get much worse. Or try this with any team — take the best perimeter and best interior player off the court and what do you have?
Chicago was in serious trouble when Derrick Rose went down with a torn ACL at the end of Game 1, but most thought they could still power through this series. But the combination of Bulls injuries and the Sixers getting back to the ball movement and execution they had early in the season has swung this series toward Philly. That and Spencer Hawes playing well again.
It’s just not been the Bulls playoffs.
- Report: Knicks, Phil Jackson have deal in principle for him to be team president. Or not. Depends on who you ask. 19
- Extra Pass: Western Conference playoff field ought to be really good, but just how good? 1
- Tuesday night NBA Grades: San Antonio with another impressive statement 12
- Kevin Durant scores 42, Thunder win a chippy one over Rockets 8
- Report: Lakers to officially declare Kobe Bryant out for the season 26