May 7, 2012, 10:07 AM EDT
Ray Allen has now rolled out there for two games on that bum ankle, played 56 minutes and knocked down 11-21 shots. Not bad, not bad at all.
So maybe he doesn’t need that offseason surgery he was going to get.
At least that’s what he’s thinking,
Allen talked with Jessica Camerato of CSNNE.com about his ankle.
“I know I said (that surgery was inevitable) a couple weeks ago, and I believe that just from the pictures,” he said. “But based on how I feel now and where my body is, I’ll revisit getting x-rays, MRI when it’s over with and make an assessment then because if I continue on this track and I know I’m getting better, I don’t need to have surgery if it’s not necessary…
“I thought about it (reconsidering surgery) maybe yesterday, the day before yesterday,“ he said. “If the joint shows different things in it based on me, how I’m playing, how I feel when I’m playing, I don’t think there’s a need for it. But before it was just too excruciating. It felt like it was the only option. It felt like even as the series was starting, that I wasn’t going to be able to play. So I’m obviously I’m in a different position, and tomorrow it could be a different scenario. So that’s why for me I just take it one day at a time.”
He said after Game 3, when he had to play 37 minutes, his ankle was in a lot of pain the next day. However, with a few days off between games he was able to get it back to where he could play.
It’s his body and his call, but to me some minor ankle surgery that cleans everything out seems the prudent move. But again, not me that has to get on the table and I get his hesitation.
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. But he liked what LeBron did. 0
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 34
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 37
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 20
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 18
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 69