May 7, 2012, 10:07 AM EST
Ray Allen has now rolled out there for two games on that bum ankle, played 56 minutes and knocked down 11-21 shots. Not bad, not bad at all.
So maybe he doesn’t need that offseason surgery he was going to get.
At least that’s what he’s thinking,
Allen talked with Jessica Camerato of CSNNE.com about his ankle.
“I know I said (that surgery was inevitable) a couple weeks ago, and I believe that just from the pictures,” he said. “But based on how I feel now and where my body is, I’ll revisit getting x-rays, MRI when it’s over with and make an assessment then because if I continue on this track and I know I’m getting better, I don’t need to have surgery if it’s not necessary…
“I thought about it (reconsidering surgery) maybe yesterday, the day before yesterday,“ he said. “If the joint shows different things in it based on me, how I’m playing, how I feel when I’m playing, I don’t think there’s a need for it. But before it was just too excruciating. It felt like it was the only option. It felt like even as the series was starting, that I wasn’t going to be able to play. So I’m obviously I’m in a different position, and tomorrow it could be a different scenario. So that’s why for me I just take it one day at a time.”
He said after Game 3, when he had to play 37 minutes, his ankle was in a lot of pain the next day. However, with a few days off between games he was able to get it back to where he could play.
It’s his body and his call, but to me some minor ankle surgery that cleans everything out seems the prudent move. But again, not me that has to get on the table and I get his hesitation.
- Training like the Pros: Recapping a month-long Nike Basketball workout experience 2
- Report: JaVale McGee can’t reach deal with Celtics 11
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 5
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 20
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 14
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 30