May 7, 2012, 10:48 AM EST
Apparently the Charlotte Bobcats coaching job is in a lot more demand than I expected… that or right now it’s the only job out there so nobody will burn that bridge.
Some bigger names than one might expect have been thrown out there to take over the worst team in NBA history, one stuck in a small market with an owner who has yet to prove himself (as an owner, as a player MJ was pretty solid as I recall).
Former Trail Blazers coach (and North Carolina guy) Nate McMillan told CSNNW.com that he would consider taking on a rebuilding team like the Bobcats.
“The plan in Portland, when I got there was to rebuild and we were lucky to draft some really good players. Injuries just put a damper on things. Coaching is coaching. It would be a new beginning for me. Young team or a veteran team….If you’re saying, ‘I’m just looking for a veteran team,’ that’s not true.
“Depends on the opportunity. It takes two to agree to a deal and we’ll see whenever that happens. I won’t just take anything, it will depend on the situation.”
McMillan would be a coup for the Bobcats, a coach much better than the first-timer they are expected to have to take on.
But they may have their eye on former Jazz head man Jerry Sloan, according to Mitch Lawrence of the New York Daily News. Which would be an interesting choice for a rebuilding team — he is an old-school harda** who would bring some discipline to the Bobcats. But he has clashed with players like Deron Williams in the past and would he really want to come back to the NBA at age 70 to rebuild from literally the bottom? My guess is no, if he wanted to be back in the NBA he would be, he’s had teams reach out before.
Either way, the Bobcats have their goals set high.
- Dwight Howard out vs. Mavericks Saturday, no timetable for his return 1
- If Derrick Rose not ready to return by Monday Bulls may add point guard to roster 8
- Another day, another Bulls injury: Taj Gibson out with sprained ankle 10
- Report: Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook could return to Thunder lineup next week 11
- Kobe Bryant says he took large enough discount for Lakers to contend 55
- Report: Jeff Taylor won’t appeal 24-game suspension 2
- Timberwolves’ Kevin Martin out indefinitely after scoring 31 points with fractured wrist 8
- Andrei Kirilenko leaves Nets for road trip, Lionel Hollins unsure if he’ll return 14