May 7, 2012, 10:12 PM EDT
Could Memphis coach Lionel Hollins have slowed him back in the day? Hollins is a former NBA player who made the NBA All-Defensive team in 1978 and his defense helped the 1977 Trail Blazers win a ring.
If he was out there (and 35 years younger) could he disrupt CP3?
“I would be a lot more physical than he’s getting right now,” Hollins said with a smile, but you could sense the competitor behind it. “I don’t know if I’d been able to get away with it, but I’d be trying. But I’m too old to even be talking about that…
“CP is a great player. He’s quick, he’s got a nice body, he strong, he’s a very, very smart player. He reads what you’re trying to do to him and he picks it up quickly. Sometimes he sits with it and waits until an appropriate moment and attacks, other times he attacks right away on it and makes you change up.
“He’s one of the great players in the game today. He maybe doesn’t get as much notoriety as LeBron (James), and Dwyane Wade, and Derrick Rose and some of the guys playing on the East Coast, but I have a lot of respect for Chris.”
Hollins couldn’t stop Paul either. Nobody stops him. But if they don’t make things harder for him fast Hollins and his players will be dusting off their golf clubs really soon.
- Reports: Paul Pierce agrees to three-year, $10 million contract with Los Angeles Clippers 13
- Report: LaMarcus Aldridge rules out Lakers in free agent decision 94
- Reports: Phoenix Suns sign Tyson Chandler, re-sign Brandon Knight, try to reshape roster 10
- Kevin Love will return to Cavaliers, contract is reportedly $110 million over five years 77
- Report: Spurs reach deal to trade Tiago Splitter to Hawks, create cap space for LaMarcus Aldridge offer 27
- Report: Heat, Goran Dragic agree to five-year deal worth $90 million 46
- Report: Paul Millsap had midnight meeting with Orlando, will decide between Magic and Hawks 17
- Report: Blazers, Damian Lillard nearing agreement on five-year max contract extension worth $120 million 17