May 7, 2012, 10:12 PM EDT
Could Memphis coach Lionel Hollins have slowed him back in the day? Hollins is a former NBA player who made the NBA All-Defensive team in 1978 and his defense helped the 1977 Trail Blazers win a ring.
If he was out there (and 35 years younger) could he disrupt CP3?
“I would be a lot more physical than he’s getting right now,” Hollins said with a smile, but you could sense the competitor behind it. “I don’t know if I’d been able to get away with it, but I’d be trying. But I’m too old to even be talking about that…
“CP is a great player. He’s quick, he’s got a nice body, he strong, he’s a very, very smart player. He reads what you’re trying to do to him and he picks it up quickly. Sometimes he sits with it and waits until an appropriate moment and attacks, other times he attacks right away on it and makes you change up.
“He’s one of the great players in the game today. He maybe doesn’t get as much notoriety as LeBron (James), and Dwyane Wade, and Derrick Rose and some of the guys playing on the East Coast, but I have a lot of respect for Chris.”
Hollins couldn’t stop Paul either. Nobody stops him. But if they don’t make things harder for him fast Hollins and his players will be dusting off their golf clubs really soon.
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 10
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 30
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 84
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 54
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4