May 7, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT
It was a shortened, condensed NBA season, followed by a playoffs so far filled with blowouts — of both knees and games. Everything has felt different.
So, should this year’s champion have an asterisk after it?
“I don’t think that’s right to say,” James said. “I’m not going to get involved in it. Every team works hard no matter if it’s a lockout year or not. There’s not much of a difference between 82 games and 66 games….
“I don’t discredit the effort San Antonio had when they won it in ’99 after the lockout,” James said. “We all know Gregg Popovich is an unbelievable coach and Tim Duncan is an unbelievable player. It shouldn’t matter. They won multiple (titles) after that so are we going to say that first one wasn’t good enough? I don’t think that’s true at all.”
The Spurs 1999 banner looks exactly like the other three, the ring from that year does not have a diamond asterisk.
I think the idea of an asterisk due to injuries (such as Derrick Rose in Chicago this year) is preposterous. Injuries shape the playoffs every year. Does the Lakers 2010 title get an asterisk because Kendrick Perkins was hurt for Game 7? Does Boston’s 2008 title have an asterisk because Andrew Bynum was out for the Lakers? We could play that game for virtually every championship run ever. Luck and health are part of it.
As for one after the title, some fans will put it there anyway — especially if the hated Heat won the title. But in the end that’s not how we will view it, a decade from now it will be a title. A ring is a ring. Whoever gets it will not put an asterisk on the banner.
- James Harden and Dwight Howard show Mavericks what they’re missing in Rockets’ Game 1 win 8
- Derrick Rose looks like his old self as Bulls beat Bucks in Game 1 17
- Warriors strong enough to outlast Anthony Davis and Pelicans in Game 1 7
- Paul Pierce leads Wizards to overtime Game 1 win over Raptors 6
- Q&A: Corey Brewer on trade from Timberwolves, his 51-point game, Harden’s MVP case, Rockets vs. Mavericks 3
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 10
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 6
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 3