May 7, 2012, 12:30 PM EST
It was a shortened, condensed NBA season, followed by a playoffs so far filled with blowouts — of both knees and games. Everything has felt different.
So, should this year’s champion have an asterisk after it?
“I don’t think that’s right to say,” James said. “I’m not going to get involved in it. Every team works hard no matter if it’s a lockout year or not. There’s not much of a difference between 82 games and 66 games….
“I don’t discredit the effort San Antonio had when they won it in ’99 after the lockout,” James said. “We all know Gregg Popovich is an unbelievable coach and Tim Duncan is an unbelievable player. It shouldn’t matter. They won multiple (titles) after that so are we going to say that first one wasn’t good enough? I don’t think that’s true at all.”
The Spurs 1999 banner looks exactly like the other three, the ring from that year does not have a diamond asterisk.
I think the idea of an asterisk due to injuries (such as Derrick Rose in Chicago this year) is preposterous. Injuries shape the playoffs every year. Does the Lakers 2010 title get an asterisk because Kendrick Perkins was hurt for Game 7? Does Boston’s 2008 title have an asterisk because Andrew Bynum was out for the Lakers? We could play that game for virtually every championship run ever. Luck and health are part of it.
As for one after the title, some fans will put it there anyway — especially if the hated Heat won the title. But in the end that’s not how we will view it, a decade from now it will be a title. A ring is a ring. Whoever gets it will not put an asterisk on the banner.
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 0
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 10
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 9
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 50
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 8
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 7