May 7, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT
It was a shortened, condensed NBA season, followed by a playoffs so far filled with blowouts — of both knees and games. Everything has felt different.
So, should this year’s champion have an asterisk after it?
“I don’t think that’s right to say,” James said. “I’m not going to get involved in it. Every team works hard no matter if it’s a lockout year or not. There’s not much of a difference between 82 games and 66 games….
“I don’t discredit the effort San Antonio had when they won it in ’99 after the lockout,” James said. “We all know Gregg Popovich is an unbelievable coach and Tim Duncan is an unbelievable player. It shouldn’t matter. They won multiple (titles) after that so are we going to say that first one wasn’t good enough? I don’t think that’s true at all.”
The Spurs 1999 banner looks exactly like the other three, the ring from that year does not have a diamond asterisk.
I think the idea of an asterisk due to injuries (such as Derrick Rose in Chicago this year) is preposterous. Injuries shape the playoffs every year. Does the Lakers 2010 title get an asterisk because Kendrick Perkins was hurt for Game 7? Does Boston’s 2008 title have an asterisk because Andrew Bynum was out for the Lakers? We could play that game for virtually every championship run ever. Luck and health are part of it.
As for one after the title, some fans will put it there anyway — especially if the hated Heat won the title. But in the end that’s not how we will view it, a decade from now it will be a title. A ring is a ring. Whoever gets it will not put an asterisk on the banner.
- Odds for the NBA Draft Lottery (that teams don’t care if they win) 0
- Jim Boeheim says Knicks problem is not Carmelo, it’s everyone else 4
- Report: Tony Parker got death threats during Game 1 9
- Kobe tweets he wants Howard and Gasol back with Lakers 13
- Why there’s a 100 percent chance the NBA lottery is fixed 18
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (87)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery
- PFT: NFL want to make Pro Bowl like game show
- PFT: Bucs saw Revis injury as opportunity
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay