Baron Davis has torn ACL and MCL, this may be it for him

May 7, 2012, 5:42 PM EDT

Baron Davis Warriors AP

There were times when Baron Davis was as good a playmaker, as entertaining a point guard in the NBA — remember how he played when he led Golden State to the first-round upset of the Dallas Mavericks in 2007? He had the gift of court vision, and even in his frustrating later years on the nights he showed up physically and mentally right he could be magical. I’ve seen few players be able to light up a crowd like he could on the right night.

We may never see those days again.

The Knicks have announced that Baron Davis’ knee injury is much worse than we thought. And anyone who saw the video thought it was bad. Here is the announcement from the New York Knicks:

Injury Update: MRI on Baron Davis’ R knee revealed partial tear of the patella tendon & complete tears of the ACL & MCL.

Davis will have surgery later this week but would be age 34 when trying to make a comeback from this. A guy who has struggled to come back from injuries in recent years such as the herniated disc in his back that has limited him these playoffs.

Davis, when he was going right, was always one of my favorite players to watch. Too often, due to conditioning and more, we only caught glimpses of what he was capable of — in transition he could dazzle. Too many days he settled for threes (early in the clock), but when he attacked he could score or dish with the best, his feel for the game was incredible.

He’ll try to come back, but it’s hard to be optimistic. I’ll miss him. I’ll miss Boom Dizzle. I’ll miss the beard.

1. Mr. Wright 212 - May 7, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Of course rarely do you “dislocate” your kneecap THAT gruesomely without tearing ligaments. I was 200 feet away and saw it on the low def replay at the Garden and knew it was at least an ACL.

Other than Shaun Livingston, I haven’t seen a knee crumple like that in my LIFE (I saw Bernard King’s when I was little, but it didn’t look anything like this).

Sadly, Baron may be done. Years of poor conditioning and outright laziness robbed him of what could have been a borderline Hall of Fame career. He has torn this same knee up three times now, the first being in that infamous NCAA game (I was watching it live as he came down the right wing for a dunk). Always one of my favorite players, he will be missed if he can’t come back from this. We were born two weeks apart, so like everyone else in the same timeframe (T-Mac being another), it is sad to watch these guys as shells of their former selves; especially Tracy, who I watched play our senior year as he dropped 35 on us in a HALF when he played for Mt. Zion.

Father Time is batting 1.000 and always will.

2. jrob1030 - May 7, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Mr. Wright, I don’t like you

• Mr. Wright 212 - May 7, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Why would you think I’d care to know either way?

3. ajpurp - May 7, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Due to, not do to.

• 28loose - May 7, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Seeing if you can find the grammatical error in Kurt’s posts is a fun game to play.

4. mungman69 - May 7, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Jrob1030: get a life

5. lakerluver - May 7, 2012 at 7:20 PM

I couldn’t even watch the replays of the injury, it was just too ugly. Get well, B. D.

6. canehouse - May 7, 2012 at 7:43 PM

BD was one of my favorites to watch play against the HEAT. Remember some great playoff games against the HEAT when he was a Hornet. While this is probably his last game as a NBA player… I feel confident that we will see more of Davis on the political, social and cultural front.

7. dysraw1 - May 7, 2012 at 8:05 PM

don’t get me wrong I respect B-diddy has a player, but i was mad that the knicks signed him, because he was all ready hurt. i didn’t see the sense in signing someone and waiting for them to heal.

8. jameswestphal - May 7, 2012 at 8:26 PM

This could be the most poorly written story I’ve ever read. Are you serious Kurt? Do better guy.

9. lmvs2012 - May 7, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Thats what happen if u forced yourself to play….we all know davis had lots of injuries in the past…..he thinks of the money and not to retire than hes health…so dumb

• Mr. Wright 212 - May 8, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Son he was getting the vet’s minimum. He wanted to be a part of something bigger than himself.

• Mr. Wright 212 - May 8, 2012 at 12:17 PM

And a PRORATED portion of that minimum, I might add.

10. rosesacl - May 7, 2012 at 10:40 PM

RIP Bdub’s knee

11. 91devinhester23 - May 7, 2012 at 11:49 PM

what is it with pgs and knee injuries these playoffs?

• Mr. Wright 212 - May 8, 2012 at 12:18 PM

they do harder cutting than almost anyone. Sharper changes in direction. It’s honestly a wonder that it doesn’t happen more. That ligament isn’t supposed to move in three different directions like it does when these guys perform herky jerky moves.

12. cantonbound13 - May 8, 2012 at 4:46 AM

If only Baaron took care of himself & was well conditioned comming into each season, he would have been one of the greatest point guards ever.

13. kavika6 - May 9, 2012 at 5:11 AM

It’s hard to feel bad for him after watching him end T.J. Ford’s career.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches