May 6, 2012, 12:53 AM EDT
This thing is over. 102-90 Spurs.
The exact same thing we’ve seen for the first two games replicated only with a little bit of excitement from Derrick Favors who showed out against the Spurs. Tony Parker is just too much. Let’s start there.
The Spurs can space the floor so well on offense that you can’t bring help consistently or well enough on Parker on the perimeter. And once he gets inside, that’s it. He’s either going to pull up and softly place it on the rim for gravity and physics to ease it into the hole, dropping in a floater, or spinning it out to those same shooters if you even think about collapsing in. There’s simply no way for the Jazz to counter him. That’s where everything starts.
Devin Harris contributed 21 points and it still wasn’t enough for him to win his matchup. From there, Al Jefferson contributed but still can’t really get loose against the variety of looks the Spurs are throwing at him, and the wings are just non-existent. The Spurs have answers at every position and in every way for the Jazz, and that’s the tone this series has set.
Gordon Hayward was never going to win this matchup. But he needed to at least marginalize the damage. But the young player’s just not ready. It’s not even individual matchups though. The Spurs are so good at getting you moving so you’re matched up on someone you can’t defend, or scrambling to recover on two guys at once, it’s just nearly impossible for a team like Utah to limit them.
The Jazz were going to have a hard time under any set of circumstances, but with Millsap scoring 9 point on 12 shots is going to be absolute death for the Spurs.
In reality, this is like facing the San Antonio Plague. They’re everywhere, all throughout the system, and you can’t attack a symptom without making another worse, while the illness is what destroys you. The Spurs are one game away from advancing and getting a week of rest.
- John Calipari comes to defense of Derrick Rose 3
- Tony Allen fined $5,000 for overacting on Ginobili foul 12
- Preview: Pacers must take back paint to even series with Heat 4
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 5
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 12
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (81)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (65)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (59)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights