May 5, 2012, 8:27 PM EST
The Memphis Grizzlies have to be shaking their heads in disbelief right now. While the Grizzlies’ blown opportunity in Game 3 wasn’t nearly as disastrous as their historic Game 1 collapse, the fact of the matter is that Memphis could easily be up 3-o on the Clippers right now, but instead they find themselves down 2-1 thanks to two games that were decided by a grand total of two points.
Chris Paul was once again fantastic — he finished the game with 24 points, 11 assists, and 4 steals, and scored or assisted on six of the Grizzlies’ final seven points of the game. Foul trouble limited DeAndre Jordan to just 18 minutes of play, but the Clippers still held their own in the paint, outscoring Memphis 34-20 inside the painted area. The Clippers also prevented Memphis from winning the transition game — both teams had exactly 17 turnovers, and the Grizzlies only managed to grab one more offensive rebound than the Clippers did. Randy Foye did a great job in giving Los Angeles the 2nd option they so desperately needed, scoring 16 points on 6-9 shooting from the field and 4-5 shooting from beyond the arc.
On the Grizzlies’ side of things, Rudy Gay led Memphis with 24 points, although he missed a potential game-winning jumper with just seconds left. The Grizzlies have played great basketball in this series, but the breaks didn’t go their way in games 1 or 3, and now they need a road win to keep from falling into a huge 3-1 series hole. They can pull it off, but they need to keep their eyes on the prize and play for the full 48 minutes if they want to tie this series back up.
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 20
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 17
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 63
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13