May 5, 2012, 8:52 PM EDT
UPDATE 8:53 pm: Not good news, Bulls fans. Here is the quote from Tom Thibodeau via our friends at CSNChicago.com:
“Most likely, he’ll be out tomorrow,” Bulls head coach Tom Thibodeau said Saturday afternoon following a film session at the team’s hotel. “I haven’t gotten the grade yet, but it’s doubtful. We’ll see tomorrow, though.”
Without Noah the Bulls are going to need someone to step up with a huge game — we’re looking at you, Carlos Boozer — or the Bulls will be down 3-1 and in a world of hurt. Literally.
9:00 am: If the Bulls are going to make any more noise in the NBA playoffs without Derrick Rose, they need Joakim Noah. He’s their emotional leader, their hardest working player, the one who screams, dances, and fist pumps with crazy hair to get his team going. He’s also actually got an offensive skill set, which for the Bulls’ big men, is kind of a big deal. Unfortunately, in a continuation of how things have been for the Bulls all season, the worst has occurred, and Noah was injured Friday night in Philadelphia, badly turning his ankle. He was helped off the floor, and the Bulls’ staff was obviously careful with Noah not to bring him back too soon.
Just kidding! The Bulls staff totally let him come back in twice before taking him out. Noah left the arena on crutches, and it appears significant. No update on his status for Game 4, yet, obviously.
Here’s the play Noah was injured on. Fair warning, when Noah screams, it’s pretty gruesome stuff.
Ew. Seriously. So gross.
The good news is that Noah was able to walk it off so you have to at least have some quality hope that he didn’t fracture it. The Bulls do have Omer Asik as a backup center and Taj Gibson to help out for small-ball lineups in case Noah can’t go in Game 4, but losing Noah would be crushing for the Bulls who are already obviously without their best player in Derrick Rose.
Tough breaks all over for the Bulls.
Also, Sixers fans, must you fulfill the Philadelphia stereotype by cheering an injured player? Can’t you at least try not to be, you know, you?
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 4
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 18
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14