May 5, 2012, 8:52 PM EDT
UPDATE 8:53 pm: Not good news, Bulls fans. Here is the quote from Tom Thibodeau via our friends at CSNChicago.com:
“Most likely, he’ll be out tomorrow,” Bulls head coach Tom Thibodeau said Saturday afternoon following a film session at the team’s hotel. “I haven’t gotten the grade yet, but it’s doubtful. We’ll see tomorrow, though.”
Without Noah the Bulls are going to need someone to step up with a huge game — we’re looking at you, Carlos Boozer — or the Bulls will be down 3-1 and in a world of hurt. Literally.
9:00 am: If the Bulls are going to make any more noise in the NBA playoffs without Derrick Rose, they need Joakim Noah. He’s their emotional leader, their hardest working player, the one who screams, dances, and fist pumps with crazy hair to get his team going. He’s also actually got an offensive skill set, which for the Bulls’ big men, is kind of a big deal. Unfortunately, in a continuation of how things have been for the Bulls all season, the worst has occurred, and Noah was injured Friday night in Philadelphia, badly turning his ankle. He was helped off the floor, and the Bulls’ staff was obviously careful with Noah not to bring him back too soon.
Just kidding! The Bulls staff totally let him come back in twice before taking him out. Noah left the arena on crutches, and it appears significant. No update on his status for Game 4, yet, obviously.
Here’s the play Noah was injured on. Fair warning, when Noah screams, it’s pretty gruesome stuff.
Ew. Seriously. So gross.
The good news is that Noah was able to walk it off so you have to at least have some quality hope that he didn’t fracture it. The Bulls do have Omer Asik as a backup center and Taj Gibson to help out for small-ball lineups in case Noah can’t go in Game 4, but losing Noah would be crushing for the Bulls who are already obviously without their best player in Derrick Rose.
Tough breaks all over for the Bulls.
Also, Sixers fans, must you fulfill the Philadelphia stereotype by cheering an injured player? Can’t you at least try not to be, you know, you?
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 7
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 10
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 43
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 30
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11