May 5, 2012, 4:57 PM EST
Utah doesn’t need to just win against the Spurs in Game 3 in Utah Saturday. They need to outright dominate in order to make a statement that they aren’t going to be pushed over. Because at this rate, they’re headed for a sweep in short order.
The Jazz had some positive things going in Game 1. They got some production, did some things well, showed that they might be able to make some adjustments. It wasn’t necessarily an encouraging game, but it wasn’t the worst possible thing that could have happened.
That was Game 2.
The Spurs were better in every conceivable area in Game 2, and made adjustments to shut down what had worked to limited success in Game 1. The Spurs came in with huge advantages and have carried them to their furthest extent. From Tim Duncan defending Al Jefferson to Manu Ginobili taking Gordon Hayward off the dribble to help defense to transition buckets… you get the idea.
So what does Utah have to do in Game 3 to try and gain some sort of respect in the series and avoid going down the inescapable 0-3 hole? Three things.
1. Get out and run. They pushed the pace more in Game 2 and Ty Corbin has said they want to try and slow the Spurs down. But the Jazz have athletes in front of a homecrowd and the best way to rattle a team with homecourt momentum is to get big plays like dunks on athleticism. Derrick Favors can help in this situation, but the Utah Jazz guards are going to have to push with abandon, and in general, they’ve been gunshy against the pressure.
2. Trap Tony Parker and live with the results. At some point you have to say that anything else is better. The Spurs are going to destroy the Jazz from the outside if they trap Parker, most likely. But guess what? They’re getting destroyed by Parker. At some point the devil you don’t know is better than the one you do.
3. Drive and kick. The Spurs have good defenders but not fast ones. The Jazz guards are going to have to create penetration and then kick to either outside shooters like Gordon Hayward or Paul Millsap spot-up from midrange.
The series isn’t out of hand yet. But another game like this series has gone, and Utah can start making vacation plans.
Dec 19, 2014, 8:00 AM EST
He will get another shot at being a head coach in the NBA. He deserves it.
Dec 19, 2014, 1:01 AM EST
Rondo moves the Mavs into contender status in the West. Problem is that is a crowded field.
Dec 19, 2014, 12:46 AM EST
The team officially described the sprain as “mild.”
Dec 19, 2014, 12:02 AM EST
Makes the haul even less impressive for Boston.
Dec 18, 2014, 11:00 PM EST
Phil responds to an article ripping the Knicks for making the deal.
Dec 18, 2014, 10:00 PM EST
Bryant’s contract runs through 2016.
Dec 18, 2014, 9:15 PM EST
Dec 18, 2014, 8:15 PM EST
The Rookie of the Year race is pretty dull now, frankly.
Dec 18, 2014, 7:35 PM EST
Anthony has been advised that sitting out would be smart.
Dec 18, 2014, 6:55 PM EST
The foul was upgraded to a Flagrant 2.
Dec 18, 2014, 6:03 PM EST
The Mavs send three players and two picks to Boston.
Dec 18, 2014, 5:30 PM EST
They don’t want to give up picks.
Dec 18, 2014, 4:45 PM EST
Spurs star made same clutch shot a decade ago against Lakers
Dec 18, 2014, 4:05 PM EST
Down goes Rocky, down goes Rocky
Dec 18, 2014, 3:40 PM EST
Trail Blazers guard just waiting to check into game, when his personal space gets violated
Dec 18, 2014, 3:09 PM EST
The Warriors are +15.8 per 100 when he is on the court. They will miss him.
Dec 18, 2014, 3:03 PM EST
Celtics forward shows up Magic
Dec 18, 2014, 2:28 PM EST
Updated with Lakers’ reported offer
Dec 18, 2014, 1:36 PM EST
Trade talks for Celtics point guard heating up
Dec 18, 2014, 12:55 PM EST
Where does this rank among LeBron’s most-lopsided losses?
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 25
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 2
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 28
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 3
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 36
- Andrew Bogut undergoes PRP therapy on knee, out indefinitely 9
- Report: Mavericks trading for Rajon Rondo could happen ‘sooner rather than later’ 10
- Carmelo Anthony introduces his latest signature shoe, the Jordan Melo M11 10