May 5, 2012, 4:57 PM EST
Utah doesn’t need to just win against the Spurs in Game 3 in Utah Saturday. They need to outright dominate in order to make a statement that they aren’t going to be pushed over. Because at this rate, they’re headed for a sweep in short order.
The Jazz had some positive things going in Game 1. They got some production, did some things well, showed that they might be able to make some adjustments. It wasn’t necessarily an encouraging game, but it wasn’t the worst possible thing that could have happened.
That was Game 2.
The Spurs were better in every conceivable area in Game 2, and made adjustments to shut down what had worked to limited success in Game 1. The Spurs came in with huge advantages and have carried them to their furthest extent. From Tim Duncan defending Al Jefferson to Manu Ginobili taking Gordon Hayward off the dribble to help defense to transition buckets… you get the idea.
So what does Utah have to do in Game 3 to try and gain some sort of respect in the series and avoid going down the inescapable 0-3 hole? Three things.
1. Get out and run. They pushed the pace more in Game 2 and Ty Corbin has said they want to try and slow the Spurs down. But the Jazz have athletes in front of a homecrowd and the best way to rattle a team with homecourt momentum is to get big plays like dunks on athleticism. Derrick Favors can help in this situation, but the Utah Jazz guards are going to have to push with abandon, and in general, they’ve been gunshy against the pressure.
2. Trap Tony Parker and live with the results. At some point you have to say that anything else is better. The Spurs are going to destroy the Jazz from the outside if they trap Parker, most likely. But guess what? They’re getting destroyed by Parker. At some point the devil you don’t know is better than the one you do.
3. Drive and kick. The Spurs have good defenders but not fast ones. The Jazz guards are going to have to create penetration and then kick to either outside shooters like Gordon Hayward or Paul Millsap spot-up from midrange.
The series isn’t out of hand yet. But another game like this series has gone, and Utah can start making vacation plans.
Mar 2, 2015, 10:30 PM EST
Whiteside grabbed Len by the legs.
Mar 2, 2015, 9:45 PM EST
Hamilton had no chance.
Mar 2, 2015, 9:00 PM EST
Yes, you read that right.
Mar 2, 2015, 8:15 PM EST
Teletovic is also out for the season.
Mar 2, 2015, 7:30 PM EST
We’ll see about that.
Mar 2, 2015, 6:44 PM EST
He will sit out Tuesday vs. Atlanta.
Mar 2, 2015, 6:15 PM EST
Nine total shoes, three colorways each.
Mar 2, 2015, 5:30 PM EST
Has his extra run and touches since Josh Smith was released changing the dynamic in Detroit?
Mar 2, 2015, 4:30 PM EST
Nobody is talking about Dwight Howard as long as the Rockets are winning.
Mar 2, 2015, 3:45 PM EST
The Knicks got some wins and move out of the cellar.
Mar 2, 2015, 3:08 PM EST
Wizards forward has twice been suspended following altercations with Chicago
Mar 2, 2015, 2:28 PM EST
Lakers guard says he can take a joke – just not this one
Mar 2, 2015, 1:45 PM EST
Bulls facing big challenge without their best player
Doc Rivers on DeAndre Jordan for Defensive Player of the Year: ‘If anybody else gets that award, we need to have an investigation’
Mar 2, 2015, 1:18 PM EST
Clippers coach: ‘What he’s doing defensively, if he was doing that offensively, he would be recognized as the MVP’
Mar 2, 2015, 12:38 PM EST
I can’t wait
Mar 2, 2015, 11:59 AM EST
Sleeves notwithstanding, these are good
Mar 2, 2015, 11:21 AM EST
Trail Blazers’ Paul Allen falls to No. 2 among NBA owners
Mar 2, 2015, 10:32 AM EST
Trail Blazers center has moves – or at least a move
Mar 2, 2015, 9:53 AM EST
For some reason, Bulls fans boo this athletic feat
Mar 2, 2015, 9:07 AM EST
LeBron: ‘I have no idea why he would do that’
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 17
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 8
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 5
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 36
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 18
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 6