May 5, 2012, 4:57 PM EDT
Utah doesn’t need to just win against the Spurs in Game 3 in Utah Saturday. They need to outright dominate in order to make a statement that they aren’t going to be pushed over. Because at this rate, they’re headed for a sweep in short order.
The Jazz had some positive things going in Game 1. They got some production, did some things well, showed that they might be able to make some adjustments. It wasn’t necessarily an encouraging game, but it wasn’t the worst possible thing that could have happened.
That was Game 2.
The Spurs were better in every conceivable area in Game 2, and made adjustments to shut down what had worked to limited success in Game 1. The Spurs came in with huge advantages and have carried them to their furthest extent. From Tim Duncan defending Al Jefferson to Manu Ginobili taking Gordon Hayward off the dribble to help defense to transition buckets… you get the idea.
So what does Utah have to do in Game 3 to try and gain some sort of respect in the series and avoid going down the inescapable 0-3 hole? Three things.
1. Get out and run. They pushed the pace more in Game 2 and Ty Corbin has said they want to try and slow the Spurs down. But the Jazz have athletes in front of a homecrowd and the best way to rattle a team with homecourt momentum is to get big plays like dunks on athleticism. Derrick Favors can help in this situation, but the Utah Jazz guards are going to have to push with abandon, and in general, they’ve been gunshy against the pressure.
2. Trap Tony Parker and live with the results. At some point you have to say that anything else is better. The Spurs are going to destroy the Jazz from the outside if they trap Parker, most likely. But guess what? They’re getting destroyed by Parker. At some point the devil you don’t know is better than the one you do.
3. Drive and kick. The Spurs have good defenders but not fast ones. The Jazz guards are going to have to create penetration and then kick to either outside shooters like Gordon Hayward or Paul Millsap spot-up from midrange.
The series isn’t out of hand yet. But another game like this series has gone, and Utah can start making vacation plans.
Aug 21, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT
Patience is the right play here. And patience is never popular with any fan base.
Aug 21, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Coming back off foot surgery, this is a good thing.
Aug 21, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT
Blatt can coach, but if it takes a season for the Cavaliers to find their identity (as it did with LeBron in Miami) will he get the chance to stick around for it?
Aug 21, 2014, 9:16 AM EDT
If you’re now rebuilding in Minnesota, why trade Bennett?
Aug 21, 2014, 8:44 AM EDT
Drummond is still a likely cut,
Aug 21, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
It’s all business for KD with Roc Nation getting in the act.
Aug 21, 2014, 1:33 AM EDT
He also was a scoring machine at the showcase in Las Vegas.
Aug 20, 2014, 11:15 PM EDT
16 players will practice and be available for Friday’s game against Puerto Rico, but the roster needs to be trimmed to 12 in advance of the FIBA World Cup.
Aug 20, 2014, 8:44 PM EDT
Rose hasn’t practiced since playing 24 minutes in Saturday’s win over Brazil.
Aug 20, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
Stephen Curry says yes, Kevin Durant says no.
Aug 20, 2014, 6:19 PM EDT
Nedovic had hoped to play for Serbia, but couldn’t get medical clearance.
Aug 20, 2014, 5:07 PM EDT
Video game Curry doesn’t come close to shooting as well as the real life version.
Aug 20, 2014, 4:12 PM EDT
If Bledsoe decides to play for the qualifying offer, he’ll almost certainly bolt as an unrestricted free agent next summer.
Aug 20, 2014, 2:59 PM EDT
Aug 20, 2014, 2:04 PM EDT
Strangest comparison ever. And pretty accurate.
Aug 20, 2014, 1:01 PM EDT
Photo is excellent.
Aug 20, 2014, 12:09 PM EDT
Miami could use the depth, but at this point the pickings are slim.
Aug 20, 2014, 11:17 AM EDT
Move would be purely financial for Philadelphia, but if Stoudemire is contributing at that time, Knicks may pass.
Aug 20, 2014, 10:35 AM EDT
He makes some points.
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 0
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 11
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 10
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 18
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 31
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 9
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 25