May 5, 2012, 4:57 PM EDT
Utah doesn’t need to just win against the Spurs in Game 3 in Utah Saturday. They need to outright dominate in order to make a statement that they aren’t going to be pushed over. Because at this rate, they’re headed for a sweep in short order.
The Jazz had some positive things going in Game 1. They got some production, did some things well, showed that they might be able to make some adjustments. It wasn’t necessarily an encouraging game, but it wasn’t the worst possible thing that could have happened.
That was Game 2.
The Spurs were better in every conceivable area in Game 2, and made adjustments to shut down what had worked to limited success in Game 1. The Spurs came in with huge advantages and have carried them to their furthest extent. From Tim Duncan defending Al Jefferson to Manu Ginobili taking Gordon Hayward off the dribble to help defense to transition buckets… you get the idea.
So what does Utah have to do in Game 3 to try and gain some sort of respect in the series and avoid going down the inescapable 0-3 hole? Three things.
1. Get out and run. They pushed the pace more in Game 2 and Ty Corbin has said they want to try and slow the Spurs down. But the Jazz have athletes in front of a homecrowd and the best way to rattle a team with homecourt momentum is to get big plays like dunks on athleticism. Derrick Favors can help in this situation, but the Utah Jazz guards are going to have to push with abandon, and in general, they’ve been gunshy against the pressure.
2. Trap Tony Parker and live with the results. At some point you have to say that anything else is better. The Spurs are going to destroy the Jazz from the outside if they trap Parker, most likely. But guess what? They’re getting destroyed by Parker. At some point the devil you don’t know is better than the one you do.
3. Drive and kick. The Spurs have good defenders but not fast ones. The Jazz guards are going to have to create penetration and then kick to either outside shooters like Gordon Hayward or Paul Millsap spot-up from midrange.
The series isn’t out of hand yet. But another game like this series has gone, and Utah can start making vacation plans.
Sep 18, 2014, 8:16 PM EDT
This will take some getting used to.
Sep 18, 2014, 7:10 PM EDT
Sep 18, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
Isn’t Harden the beard guru?
Sep 18, 2014, 5:51 PM EDT
I like the idea of calling him “scrappy feet” better.
Sep 18, 2014, 5:10 PM EDT
Chicago will likely start Joakim Noah and Pau Gasol
Sep 18, 2014, 4:25 PM EDT
Expect Rubio to be a restricted free agent next summer, and he may not enjoy that experience.
Sep 18, 2014, 3:44 PM EDT
Knicks star said nobody wants to play for Atlanta
Sep 18, 2014, 2:55 PM EDT
After a year at point guard, Oladipo should thrive for Magic this season
Sep 18, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
Dirk’s not bad on guitar.
Sep 18, 2014, 1:40 PM EDT
Not an expected pairing, but they can relate
Sep 18, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Spurs coach seeking sources of motivation so his team won’t repeat the letdown
Sep 18, 2014, 12:18 PM EDT
Team USA coach Mike Krzyzewski defends himself after Adrian Wojnarowski paints him as opportunistic recruiter
Sep 18, 2014, 11:39 AM EDT
How much longer will NBA keep pushing them?
Sep 18, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
After signing Glenn Robinson III, Minnesota has too many guaranteed contracts
Sep 18, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
Sep 18, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
Last season, Celtics traded Crawford to Warriors, who were unsatisfied with his play
Sep 18, 2014, 8:30 AM EDT
Bulls center didn’t fare quite as well at White Sox game
Sep 18, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
“Everybody who knows Danny knows that he’s a good person.” —Steve Kerr on Danny Ferry
Sep 18, 2014, 12:15 AM EDT
No Robert Horry, no Igor Kokoskov
Sep 17, 2014, 11:15 PM EDT
Milwaukee will likely waive former Temple center before season
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 3
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 21
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 20
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 17
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 13