May 4, 2012, 8:08 AM EST
This draft is not deep with international talent. It’s deep, loaded with homegrown talent here in the states, but this is not a deep year on for the players from overseas.
Still, 17 players declared for the draft the NBA announced, and you should get to know a few of them.
Like Evan Fournier, the 6’7” swingman out of France, likely to be drafted late in the first of early in the second round. He has played the top level of French ball the past couple seasons and can create his own shot off the dribble or step back and knock down the three. Well, he doesn’t hit the three consistently — his jump shot needs work — but that is fixable. Besides, in the NBA he won’t have to carry the load for a team like he does now. This is a guy who scouts say looks like a prototypical NBA wing.
Then there is likely second round pick Tomas Satoransky, a tall (6’7”) ball handling point guard who has the smart game and court sense you want with your point guard. He’s a good defender because of his length. He also needs to get a consistent outside shot, but he could develop into a quality guard.
Furkan Aldemir comes out of Turkey and is another guy likely to go in the second round. The 6’9” forward is a rebounder and defensive guy, not much on the offensive end but he’s an old-school, near the basket, physical four. He’s not going to star in the NBA but if you can get a guy who can give you quality minutes off the bench in the paint you got something of value.
DraftExpress.com has seven international players taken total in this draft, but only Fournier in the first round. The other internationals who declared for the draft are:
Jonas Bergstedt (Spain); Josep Franch (Spain); Maximilian Kleber (Germany); Lahaou Konate (France); Mindaugas Kupsas (Lithuania); Joffrey Lauvergne (France); Abdoulaye Loum (France); Nika Metreveli (Italy); Nemanja Nedovic (Serbia); Alen Omic (Slovenia); Jakub Parzenski (Poland); Sertac Sanli (Turkey); Tornike Shengelia (Belgium); Mathieu Wojciechowski (France).
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 0
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 10
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 9
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 50
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 8
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 7