New York post columnist “jokes” Nets should be “New York N——s”

May 4, 2012, 3:03 PM EDT

YouTube 2012 Upfronts Presentation Getty Images

I’m not going to pretend to know New York Post columnist Phil Mushnick. All I know is he has been a columnist at the Post forever and a day, and that you don’t write for the post unless you have an edge. But I have no idea about him as a person.

I did see his column Friday which in part touches on the Nets, talking about minority owner Jay-Z and his design of the new black-and-white team logo.

I did see a part of the column that crossed all kinds of lines. Here is the money part (Ball Don’t Lie pointed it out first):

As long as the Nets are allowing Jay-Z to call their marketing shots — what a shock that he chose black and white as the new team colors to stress, as the Nets explained, their new “urban” home — why not have him apply the full Jay-Z treatment?

Why the Brooklyn Nets when they can be the New York N——s? The cheerleaders could be the Brooklyn B—-hes or Hoes. Team logo? A 9 mm with hollow-tip shell casings strewn beneath. Wanna be Jay-Z hip? Then go all the way!

I don’t know Mushnick and maybe this is a generational thing where he did not understand how poorly that came off. It seems like he was trying to be funny. I’m not sure how that got past the editors, but it did.

It’s bad, either way. There are plenty of ways and legitimate reasons to mock Jay-Z if you want. This missed the mark badly. An apology and more should be forthcoming.

Personally, I like the direction the Nets have gone — if you’re going urban, go urban. I like the look, the color scheme. This is a franchise in need of a shake up top to bottom — new home, new look, new roster, new attitude. They are starting to go that way, it works for me. We’ll see how successful it is, but to me it’s the right steps.

1. dexterismyhero - May 4, 2012 at 3:09 PM

A 9 mm with hollow-tip shell casings strewn beneath.

That would be awesome……………………..

• stayhigh_247 - May 5, 2012 at 1:46 AM

how in the hell would that be awesome? you must live in the safety of suburbia, well I can tell you Brooklyn has enough issues, thats just plan dumb!

2. Little Earthquake - May 4, 2012 at 3:10 PM

I’ve read Mushnick’s tripe from time to time. He’s joking in a way but not trying to be funny. He’s one of those we’re-going-to-hell-in-a-handbasket cultural conservatives who thinks everything was nifty in 1950. So in this case he’s trying to attack the Nets for embracing “urban” because Jay-Z is a rapper and rappers rap about things like guns and use bad words. I’ve never heard Mushnick criticize the Dallas Cowboys or Minnesota Vikings for embracing violent cultural stereotypes.

• itsmammoth - May 4, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Please fill me in on these “violent cultural stereotypes” the Dallas Cowboys have adopted?

• williegault - May 4, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Hmm.. You mean “gangstas”.

Gangsters were white, and I believe he’s being racist.

Oops. So am I.

• skol22 - May 6, 2012 at 2:00 AM

He means how Cowboys slaughtered thousands of native americans. That violent culture.

• gmen4life33 - May 4, 2012 at 7:00 PM

He is 100% wrong. I get his point, but he didnt have to make it a racist manner. The black and white logo is meant to be urban, but why couldnt the author write “why not change the name to Brooklyn Gangsters” instead of using the N word. Would have made the same point, just without the racist shock value.

• williegault - May 4, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Replied to wrong post.

See above.

3. cnyphinfan - May 4, 2012 at 3:10 PM

So they are targeting Gilbert Arenas in free agency?

4. Little Earthquake - May 4, 2012 at 3:12 PM

PS: I didn’t think “urban” when I saw the color scheme. The two biggest gang colors are blue and red. If they’d chosen all red or all blue I’d have been more likely to think of urban violence (though still not likely).

• londonaiooo - May 4, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Weren’t the New Jersey Nets colours red and blue? So for a non US citizen does that make New Jersey TD most gangster state ever? This Is poor, and the guy should lose his job immediately (and the editors), but any reference to gangsters, or anyone who glorifies guns, should be shouted down.

5. acdc84 - May 4, 2012 at 3:14 PM

I don’t know this writer either but give the man a raise! Why does everyone get so offended about joking or sarcasm? Especially when he’s right.

I hope he digs in and doesn’t apologize. If he gets fired for it, I hope he sues.

• mornelithe - May 4, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Sues for what, exactly? Free Speech only protects you from the Government infringing upon things you say, it does not prevent an employer for taking you to task for writing something that clearly crosses a great number of lines.

I believe this issue was already discussed ad-nauseum, with the Hank Williams Jr. debacle.

6. SDR - May 4, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Mushnick is the epitome of a mean-spirited, obnoxious windbag. His columns are absolutely devoid of any relevant information & frankly I think if anybody read half of what he writes they’d want to punch him in the mouth.

Much like Don Imus, he’s old & miserable & watching the world pass him by while he struggles to stay relevant & write for a paper nobody takes seriously.

I’ve always found him borderline offensive anyway, but here’s hoping this asinine, juvenile, and borderline racist column FINALLY puts the guy out of his misery by getting him fired.

7. mat9844 - May 4, 2012 at 3:16 PM

“Maybe it’s a generational thing?” Sorry, that just doesn’t cut it. Most of the players are the same ages as my kids and as far as I’m concerned, it’s racism, pure and simple. Age has nothing to do with it.

8. dgbk - May 4, 2012 at 3:21 PM

what makes him right?? cause he made a poor attempt at edgy humour…….im sure if we dug into the pass of every owner or minority owner there are far worse ppl then jay z with worse views than his… i didnt see a post article saying lets rename the mets the th ny ponzis

9. ningenito78 - May 4, 2012 at 3:29 PM

AKA Putz Douschenik in some circles.

10. thraiderskin - May 4, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Hmmm… I thought the Nets were going for a more “clean” look which is what I think of when I see the color combo of Black and White… Apparently he doesn’t understand the effect of contradiction. As fas as his comments, really dude? You may have been trying to dog Jay-Z, but you came off more than ignorant and your platform should have been taken into consideration. You have a responsibility not to abuse the power you were given, a power that will more than likely be taken away after this brain fart. I’m not trying to create an environment of over-sensitivity, quite honestly i sit on the wrong side of the political spectrum for that, but the comments were too far.

11. hwatt - May 4, 2012 at 3:35 PM

so, a black owner picked the color black as the dominant color, and so the guy is offended. Really, the color scheme is the biggest thing that stands out. And apparently colors make him mad, especially when black people choose black. Pretty ridiculous.

I wasn’t going to pay attention to the guy, but unfortunately this seems to be gaining traction…

You all realize if the guy gets no punishments whatsoever we’re playing into his hand by talking about his drivel

• hwatt - May 4, 2012 at 3:38 PM

internet blogging rule #5 “Don’t feed the trolls”. This should applied to professional trolls like Mushnick. You do realize guys like him are professional trolls…

• rexismybff - May 4, 2012 at 5:59 PM

@hwatt – May 4, 2012 at 3:35 PM
      “so, a black owner picked the color black as the dominant color, and so the guy is offended”

=============================

Wow, hwatt! You are so spot on! I didn’t realize Mushnick was attacking Jay Z because of the color of his skin! I thought maybe it was because of the incredibly original and imaginative names of his songs, like:
      “Ji__a my N_____”,
      “Ain’t No N______”,
      “N_____ please”,
      “N____ what, N_____ who”,
      “N_____’s in Paris”,
      “Real N_____’s”…

…or, Jay Z’s ever popular and extremely romantic love ballads:
      “B___h’s and Sisters”,
      “Is that Yo B___h?”,
      “2 Many H__’s”
      “Money, Cash, H__’s”,
      “F___ All Nite”…

… or his amazing ability to put beautiful, poetic words into song, like:
      “F___ that b___h she don’t wanna dance
      Excuse my french but I’m in France (I’m just sayin)
      Prince William’s ain’t do it right if you ask me
      Cause if I was him I would have married Kate & Ashley
      What’s Gucci my n____?
      What’s Louie my killa?
      What’s drugs my deala?
      What’s that jacket, Margiela?
      Doctors say I’m the illest
      Cause I’m suffering from realness
      Got my n____’s in Paris
      And they going gorillas, huh!”

I thought maybe Mushnick was just paying homage to one of the most original, culturally relevant artists of our time (or richest swindlers of young American minority culture, or something like that…)

• gmen4life33 - May 4, 2012 at 7:14 PM

I get your point, and if he had said that DIRECTLY to Jay-Z I would be ok with it, but he wrote it in a NEWSPAPER that was read by the public. Do you know how many African Americans probably read that, and were immediately offended? Maybe a 13 yr old was reading the paper, and saw n***** right there, like it was no big deal?

I have no problem with the author having an issue with Jay-Z and the Nets direction, or the Nets using Jay-Z, but that word is GREATER than that and hurts people so dont….I dont know, put it in a newspaper everyone reads.

• dal24la - May 4, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Your post clearly shows your ignorance of Jay-Z. You just picked and choose songs he had that had Hoe, n****, or b****.
        Despite your sarcasm attempt Jay-Z IS one of the best artists of our time (although he is past his prime now.

• rexismybff - May 4, 2012 at 9:04 PM

@dal24la – “You just picked and choose songs he had that had Hoe, n****, or b****.
        P.S. Next time you want to trash Jay-Z, actually make sure you google one of HIS verses, and not Kanye Wests’ verses.”

=========================================

Guilty as charged – I did pick his songs that had the words N—–, B—-, or H–s in them. And I tell you – it was HARD to find examples (not really). I find it amazing that you and I both LOVE Jay-Z’s music SO much – you and I have a ton in common. Sorry about putting Kanye’s rap there – I guess it’s a song they sing together.

How about this line from Jay-Z’s all-time classic, “N____ What, N_____ Who” – did Jay-Z write this line?:
        “N—-z hatin n s–t cause I slayed your b—-h”

I mean, who wouldn’t agree that that’s one of the all-time classic lines in modern music, right up there with anything from Elvis or Sinatra or the Beatles?

• stayhigh_247 - May 5, 2012 at 2:03 AM

@rexismybff
        all that maybe true, but it’s not up to Mushdick to play judge and jury and use that sort of language. Isn’t he supposed to be a professional? He can stand on his soapbox and be racist in the name of journalism and that makes it ok? His ass should be fired! If he worked anywhere else in the world he would be held accountable. The Post is more tabloid than news and the fact he hasn’t been fired is proof of that. If he wants to be funny he should go to open mic night.

• asuthyo - May 5, 2012 at 3:41 PM

dal24la is completely right. When attempting to mock someone for music they make, at least choose their verse. You sir are an idiot, and chose a Kanye West verse. Not to mention F___ All Night is not his song either, he is just featured on it. No big deal though, any idiot can look up song titles and lyrics on google.

12. cakemixa - May 4, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Who cares? Nets will always be irrelevant anyway, lol.

13. AlohaMrHand - May 4, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Aren’t there editors who are supposed to say “hey Phil the article is good but I think you can make a few corrections here”.

14. rexismybff - May 4, 2012 at 4:11 PM

“There are plenty of ways and legitimate reasons to mock Jay-Z if you want. This missed the mark badly. An apology and more should be forthcoming.”

========================

YEAH!! Cause it’s not like Jay Z would ever sing about N_____’s, or busting a cap in someone’s head, or b___h’s and h_’s, or….

… oh wait

• 4thquartermagic - May 4, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Totally agree. There’s this weird double standard where even though people market and present themselves as stereotypes, no one is allowed to call them on it.

Just dumb.

If you made your fortunes calling people you love/hate n****s then you have no right to get offended when someone, “tongue and cheek” mind you, suggests you use that word to market yourself more.

• mornelithe - May 4, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Jay-Z owns his own record label, and is allowed to write and publish whatever he wants. Mr. Mushnik does not own his own newspaper, or the company that owns the newspaper. He’s not even on the board. He writes, and is paid, by their leave.

Regardless of your thoughts concerning rap, or the lyrics Mr Z chooses to use in his music, he owns his own label and publishes his own work. That’s reality. However, in case you feel there’s a double-standard, please research the Dixie Chicks, and their comments that got them dropped from their record label. Right or wrong, their comments did not represent the company that employed/published their material and they quickly faded into irrelevancy.

People seem to be very confused about the concept of corporate image in this country.

• mornelithe - May 4, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Btw, I do agree there’s a double-standard outside of the business world, in this country with regards to word usage, however, I do not believe the solution is to let everyone use the word with impunity. I believe we should really all be working towards eliminating any need of uttering such terms. It’s obviously known for it’s disparagement of a race of individuals…what need do we have of such terms, any longer? Really?

• asuthyo - May 5, 2012 at 3:46 PM

“If you made your fortunes calling people you love/hate n****s then you have no right to get offended when someone, “tongue and cheek” mind you, suggests you use that word to market yourself more”

I don’t think Jay-Z ever came out and said he was offended (at least not to my knowledge).

• stayhigh_247 - May 5, 2012 at 2:06 AM

@rexismybff
      boy you’re so out of touch with reality, you need to shut the hell up! Racism isn’t cool regardless of who does it and a fake journalist should have better things to write about.

15. charlutes - May 4, 2012 at 4:42 PM

This isn’t bad its funny as heck. I say heck because you NBC bloggers might censor me otherwise. you guys are turning into the morality police. relax.

16. marlin1894 - May 4, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Is this guy for real?

17. bbk1000 - May 4, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Mushnick is still alive?

18. acharlot5 - May 4, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Jay Z is a minority owner.. why is he the one being targeted?? that alone shows that this comment was racist.

• Justin - May 4, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Because the writer of those quotes clearly doesn’t like minorities…… owners.

19. charlutes - May 4, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Exactly 4thquartermajic. I want to know 2 things:

Why should Jay Z be off limits for poking fun? I love his music, I’m not racist at all, so I don’t get why pointing out that he made his fortune using these terms is wrong. Besides are you gonna call Jay Z out for using racial terms or just the guy who points out he uses them?

Second, why do sports bloggers think they decide what is funny and what’s crossing the line? Why on earth would Kurt’s opinion matter here? You can report the story but following it up with statements on the right and wrong of it? maybe just stick to basketball.

Btw anyone who cries fowl on this needs to watch more south park. they make fun of everyone, for everything, and cross every line in every way all the time. they rip Jews all the time (I’m a Jew) and I find it hillarious, because I understand that they don’t hate Jews they just like being funny.

your a basketball blogger, just blog on basketball and stop trying to censor people or police what people can and can’t say.

• mytthor - May 4, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Jay-Z shouldn’t be off limits for poking fun, or for criticism for these very issues. But this dude didn’t write an article saying “I really think we should reconsider putting Jay-Z in a position of influence on this team. The face of the franchise is a guy who has made his fortune talking about being a criminal and that’s a bad example for our young fans.” That’s not what he said. He said “Why don’t we just call them the Brooklyn N*****s!” That’s absurd. A large newspaper is not the place for satire on the level of South Park — South Park is absurdist satire and clearly shown as such. These comments (a) weren’t funny to most people; and (b) come off as a lot more hateful than South Park. And part of what gets SP a pass is that they do make fun of everyone. This was about one specific group.

You’re telling me that if some columnist for the LA times wrote “The BAR association? More like the kike association!” You wouldn’t think that was offensive? Please.

And as for why sports bloggers opinion should matter? It’s called an opinion piece. Get a clue. There’s a difference between saying someone can or can’t say something and just saying he’s a piece of crap for saying it. This other guy’s opinion matters but Kurt’s doesn’t?

You’re a joke.

• stayhigh_247 - May 5, 2012 at 2:11 AM

@charlutes
      you sound ridiculous! of all the ills of the world, he chose to single out Jay Z, why? What does any of that have to do with the Nets? If Jay Z were some stuffy white dude this would never have happened, Mushdick is a hater. and fyi, you can be funny without being racist.

20. Chris Fiorentino - May 4, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Didn’t Jay-Z sing a pretty popular song called “99 problems and a bitch ain’t one”? Um…hello. I don’t think Mushnick is being racist here or calling out all black people. he is calling out one specific black person, Jay-Z who should NOT be left off the hook for his racist misogynistic lyrics just because he now is the owner of a basketball team. Why is it that when I call rapper Vanilla Ice a moron, that’s OK but if I said that 50 Cent is a moron, well, that would just be me being a rapper-hating racist? LOL. Some people just see racism in everything. I am color-blind. If Jay-Z were a white rapper who got famous and owned a team, you can rest assured that I would be kicking his ass much like Mushnick kicked Jay-Z’s ass today.

I’m with another of the posters who says he hopes Mushnick doesn’t apologize, but I seriously doubt he won’t.

21. chiadam - May 4, 2012 at 6:21 PM

If you want to run down Jigga, and I’m with that if you do, there are better and funnier ways to do it. He looks like a basset hound and his wife married him to boost her profile. Oh, and all his best work is just **** he stole from other real artists. But to pick the route this clown picked is just foolish and racist.

22. glink123 - May 4, 2012 at 6:23 PM

The very fact that Jay-Z only has a scant 1.6 percent ownership interest in the Nets, yet every column refers to him as “a co-owner”, shows exactly what the intention of that 1.6 percent is buying. Seriously, for $400 million franchise, Jay-Y put up less than $7 million. Yet he’s viewed as the guy pulling all the strings. I hate to use the term “token” here, but the facts are all there, in black and white.

• dal24la - May 4, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Speaking of black and white, I like there new colors.
      As for Mushnick, he could care less Jay-z only owns 1.8%. As Jay-Z once rapped:
      “Jay-z this, Jay-z that….Jay-z this, Jay-Z that….Jay-Z that, Jay-z this, get off Jay-Z’s d***. What yall n***** get front page article yall mention Jay-Z name?”

Yes, mentioning Jay-Z does get you front page (headlines).

• lyndseymarieee - May 6, 2012 at 3:32 AM

couldn’t care less. if they could care less it implies they cared in the first place.

23. lakerluver - May 4, 2012 at 6:31 PM

I say call them the Brooklyn Camels in honor of their minority owner, Jay Z. Get it, dude looks like a ………never mind.

24. bearsstillsuck - May 4, 2012 at 6:40 PM

What if the rapper was m&m, the joke would still apply. Would that still be racist?

• jjordannba - May 5, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Its eminem

25. keyshawn22 - May 4, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Thank you Phil Musnick for saying what everyone is thinking. Fact is Jay-Z says that word in almost everyone of his songs, so people shouldnt complain when people associate that word with him. Just bc hes white and he pointed it out doesnt make it racist.

Woodson, D'Antoni's coaching futures