May 4, 2012, 3:03 PM EST
I’m not going to pretend to know New York Post columnist Phil Mushnick. All I know is he has been a columnist at the Post forever and a day, and that you don’t write for the post unless you have an edge. But I have no idea about him as a person.
I did see his column Friday which in part touches on the Nets, talking about minority owner Jay-Z and his design of the new black-and-white team logo.
I did see a part of the column that crossed all kinds of lines. Here is the money part (Ball Don’t Lie pointed it out first):
As long as the Nets are allowing Jay-Z to call their marketing shots — what a shock that he chose black and white as the new team colors to stress, as the Nets explained, their new “urban” home — why not have him apply the full Jay-Z treatment?
Why the Brooklyn Nets when they can be the New York N——s? The cheerleaders could be the Brooklyn B—-hes or Hoes. Team logo? A 9 mm with hollow-tip shell casings strewn beneath. Wanna be Jay-Z hip? Then go all the way!
I don’t know Mushnick and maybe this is a generational thing where he did not understand how poorly that came off. It seems like he was trying to be funny. I’m not sure how that got past the editors, but it did.
It’s bad, either way. There are plenty of ways and legitimate reasons to mock Jay-Z if you want. This missed the mark badly. An apology and more should be forthcoming.
Personally, I like the direction the Nets have gone — if you’re going urban, go urban. I like the look, the color scheme. This is a franchise in need of a shake up top to bottom — new home, new look, new roster, new attitude. They are starting to go that way, it works for me. We’ll see how successful it is, but to me it’s the right steps.
- Report: Knicks worried Carmelo Anthony’s back issue may be season-long concern 0
- Report: Lakers working on a one-year deal with Earl Clark 8
- Tom Thibodeau says Derrick Rose ‘didn’t re-injure himself’ after playing just 10 minutes in loss to Nuggets 11
- Lakers granted $4.85 million disabled-player exception for Steve Nash injury 11
- Kobe Bryant: “We’re not a 3-11 team. We’re not.” 26
- Tom Thibodeau is getting tired of answering Derrick Rose questions 15
- Veteran NBA coach: ‘I think (Cavaliers head coach David Blatt) is struggling a bit’ 30
- PBT’s Monday night NBA Winners/Losers: That looks more like the Cavaliers we expected 12