New York post columnist “jokes” Nets should be “New York N——s”

May 4, 2012, 3:03 PM EDT

YouTube 2012 Upfronts Presentation Getty Images

I’m not going to pretend to know New York Post columnist Phil Mushnick. All I know is he has been a columnist at the Post forever and a day, and that you don’t write for the post unless you have an edge. But I have no idea about him as a person.

I did see his column Friday which in part touches on the Nets, talking about minority owner Jay-Z and his design of the new black-and-white team logo.

I did see a part of the column that crossed all kinds of lines. Here is the money part (Ball Don’t Lie pointed it out first):

As long as the Nets are allowing Jay-Z to call their marketing shots — what a shock that he chose black and white as the new team colors to stress, as the Nets explained, their new “urban” home — why not have him apply the full Jay-Z treatment?

Why the Brooklyn Nets when they can be the New York N——s? The cheerleaders could be the Brooklyn B—-hes or Hoes. Team logo? A 9 mm with hollow-tip shell casings strewn beneath. Wanna be Jay-Z hip? Then go all the way!

I don’t know Mushnick and maybe this is a generational thing where he did not understand how poorly that came off. It seems like he was trying to be funny. I’m not sure how that got past the editors, but it did.

It’s bad, either way. There are plenty of ways and legitimate reasons to mock Jay-Z if you want. This missed the mark badly. An apology and more should be forthcoming.

Personally, I like the direction the Nets have gone — if you’re going urban, go urban. I like the look, the color scheme. This is a franchise in need of a shake up top to bottom — new home, new look, new roster, new attitude. They are starting to go that way, it works for me. We’ll see how successful it is, but to me it’s the right steps.

1. philtration - May 4, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Dumb.
    I am not 20 years old and I never listen to rap or Jay-Z.
    I like the simple black & white color scheme and it has a nice throw back look to it.
    Let’s be honest… the Nets have not drawn much attention since they had to let go of Dr. J so how is this bad?

The most enduring and iconic sports uniforms are the ones that are simple and no nonsense.
    Less is more and if you have 6 different colors and some cartoon lettering or logo than you are trying too hard at the wrong thing.

2. mojosmagic - May 4, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Good for Mushnick for telling it like it is. Just like Jay-Z does.

• stayhigh_247 - May 5, 2012 at 2:15 AM

Mushdick should keep his trap shut. guns and bullet casings etc, thats ridiculous. If he were a rapper then I wouldn’t be shocked but a so called journalist? really, If I were in the room with this punk i’d beat his ass, at least then he would have a reason to hate.

3. abchome - May 5, 2012 at 2:46 AM

I don’t understand nothing. But the new logo looks really ugly!

4. hojo20 - May 5, 2012 at 8:37 AM

Mushnick’s commentary was on how rappers like Jay-Z use terms like ho & the N word for profit and yet he’s proudly mentioned as a Nets owner. Would they play some of those Jay-Z songs with derogatory terms during a timeout of a Nets game?

As far as the Nets uniforms go, Mushnick always mentions how teams like Duke or Rutgers leave their traditional colors for a black alternate uniform which appeals to the youth/inner city crowd. So since the Nets already are going to black they can’t turn to black for a third jersey.

Mushnick is NY’s best columnist because he’s honest in today’s world of political correctness.

5. realfootballfan - May 5, 2012 at 9:06 PM

While I find Jay-Z hardly a beacon of anything exemplary in the realm of hip hop music except excess and mindless party music, I find it disingenuous to define him as a person by his music. By that same narrow logic, I suppose any actor is associated with movies that they make, and we should recall every character these people have played to understand what kind of person they are.

Mushnickis a journalist, or is supposed to be, very different from being an entertainer. It’s similar to what came up when Rush Limbaugh was involved in trying to buy the Rams. While he tries to pass himself as an “entertainer” in the same vane as any other radio jock, he interjects himself as a broadcast journalist to his listeners when it’s convenient to him. I don’t recall Jay-Z ever claiming to be anything but a rapper and a business man who makes popular music.

The fact that so many are still here trying to justify the use of that word by white people under any scenario is sad.

While I disagree with other black people using that word, it’s their perogative. What don’t white people get about that? How can’t you see the difference from it being thrown around between people of the same racially oppressed background as opposed to coming from the race that has oppressed here in America over most of its history?

It’s no different than the inside insults that Jewish people regularly throw around at each other, but as a non_Jewish person, I have more than enough sense to know that using the same terms, whether those Jewish people are my friends, or I “grew up around Jewish people all my life,” or I’m just a simple minded racist like this Mushnick character clearly is, is all wrong.

6. ishudbgm - May 6, 2012 at 3:54 AM

I have no problem with this ignorant writer saying what he said….in fairness though, Jay-Z can’t have a proper rebuttal without it losing him a significant amount of money. I hate when nobodies take shots at someone who really can not reply because they are higher up in this world. Like Jay-Z once said in a song “Don’t argue with fools, people from a distance cant tell who is who”.

7. ishudbgm - May 6, 2012 at 4:02 AM

Like Jay-Z once said “If I shoot you I’m brainless but if you shoot me, your famous, whats a N***a to do”………TRANSLATION……..you mentioning my name and starting problems with me only gets You recognition and fame, if I mention your name I look completely foolish because your not on my level and will likely never be…..go get a life!!!!!!! Jay-Z cant gain anything positive by taking on this redneck, Mushnick has already made himself more famous than he will ever be by calling out the Jigga Man.

8. cltjump - May 6, 2012 at 4:23 PM

I thought it was hilarious.

9. jg725 - May 8, 2012 at 8:16 PM

I have a REALLY CRAZY idea – why don’t the nets try to fix their image by winning basketball games intstead of trying to look different – under the new uniforms – it’s still the same garbage team as it has been.
    Although i don’t care fore mushnick – he does have a point – reverse racism is still racism – whites and blacks should be able to use the same “lingo” without it starting up the race crap

10. charlutes - May 9, 2012 at 8:21 AM

@mytthor

If I made a fortune on calling my friends Kikes I’d have to laugh at someone poking fun of that.

to your other point, Kurt is a person who has knowledge and authority on basketball. he is paid to write an opinion blog on the NBA.

he’s not an expert on morality. he has no place saying what crosses the line in terms of racial humor, why would he? in this case He’s using the fact that he has an audience to express a seemingly closed minded view on censorship.

maybe I’m a joke. maybe ur a joke, maybe Kurt’s a joke, but guess what, we are all just mammals trying to figure out life. I like mine with funny racial jokes. its not ur or Kurt’s place to interject there, I don’t tell you what to think is funny. and censorship almost always sucks.

11. dirkified - May 10, 2012 at 9:35 AM

maybe the Nets opening song should be by Eazy-E

12. bostonbruinsfan33 - May 11, 2012 at 8:34 AM

Stupidity at its finest. When you’re a struggling team trying to make some noise in this challenging league named the NBA (yes, even with all the horrible officiating I’ve seen go against the Celtics AND their opponents), anything negative certainly won’t make it any easier. The columnist’s attempt at humor was a -1,000,000 out of 10 in my book.

Warriors vs. Clippers playoff preview