May 4, 2012, 6:16 PM EDT
Yes, I’m sure their real tight. Probably get together for a barbeque with their families after the season. Pound a few beers and talk about the good times.
They asked him about his relationship with Stan Van Gundy — you know, the coach Howard told management he wanted fired — his recovery from back surgery, and how he feels being in Beverly Hills while his team is back in Orlando getting ready for a key Game 4.
Orlando Magic superstar Dwight Howard tells TMZ … he’s been in constant contact with head coach Stan Van Gundy since his back surgery … saying they’ve spoken “a bunch of times” since the playoffs began….
“Sad” … Howard said … adding, “Just a little sad that I can’t be in Orlando with my teammates in the playoffs.” I went back and forth with the doctor for a couple of days … and he just said, ‘Dwight I need you to stay here, I don’t need you to go back home, I don’t need you traveling on the plane … anything.'”
“I feel like I’m in jail,” Dwight said … “I just really wish I could be there for my teammates.”
His teammates could use him. Well, the healthy him that could play at an All-Star level.
How Howard and SVG define “a bunch of times” and how in depth those conversations are may be different. But they are communicating on some level. And they will continue to do so until the Magic fire Van Gundy this summer.
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 10
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 7
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 0
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 16
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 18
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 6
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34