May 4, 2012, 6:16 PM EDT
Yes, I’m sure their real tight. Probably get together for a barbeque with their families after the season. Pound a few beers and talk about the good times.
They asked him about his relationship with Stan Van Gundy — you know, the coach Howard told management he wanted fired — his recovery from back surgery, and how he feels being in Beverly Hills while his team is back in Orlando getting ready for a key Game 4.
Orlando Magic superstar Dwight Howard tells TMZ … he’s been in constant contact with head coach Stan Van Gundy since his back surgery … saying they’ve spoken “a bunch of times” since the playoffs began….
“Sad” … Howard said … adding, “Just a little sad that I can’t be in Orlando with my teammates in the playoffs.” I went back and forth with the doctor for a couple of days … and he just said, ‘Dwight I need you to stay here, I don’t need you to go back home, I don’t need you traveling on the plane … anything.'”
“I feel like I’m in jail,” Dwight said … “I just really wish I could be there for my teammates.”
His teammates could use him. Well, the healthy him that could play at an All-Star level.
How Howard and SVG define “a bunch of times” and how in depth those conversations are may be different. But they are communicating on some level. And they will continue to do so until the Magic fire Van Gundy this summer.
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 8
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 13
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 21
- Report: Rajon Rondo has told Celtics ‘he wants out’ 68
- World Cup Day 1 roundup: Brazil with big win, Andray Blatche puts on a show 5
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 18
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 34