Howard says he talked with Van Gundy “a bunch” recently

May 4, 2012, 6:16 PM EDT

Dwight Howard Stan Van Gundy Getty Images

Yes, I’m sure their real tight. Probably get together for a barbeque with their families after the season. Pound a few beers and talk about the good times.

Anyway… Dwight Howard went for a walk in Beverly Hills today, and if you do that and are a celebrity you can get accosted by TMZ’s cameras. It happens.

They asked him about his relationship with Stan Van Gundy — you know, the coach Howard told management he wanted fired — his recovery from back surgery, and how he feels being in Beverly Hills while his team is back in Orlando getting ready for a key Game 4.

Orlando Magic superstar Dwight Howard tells TMZ … he’s been in constant contact with head coach Stan Van Gundy since his back surgery … saying they’ve spoken “a bunch of times” since the playoffs began….

“Sad” … Howard said … adding, “Just a little sad that I can’t be in Orlando with my teammates in the playoffs.” I went back and forth with the doctor for a couple of days … and he just said, ‘Dwight I need you to stay here, I don’t need you to go back home, I don’t need you traveling on the plane … anything.'”

“I feel like I’m in jail,” Dwight said … “I just really wish I could be there for my teammates.”

His teammates could use him. Well, the healthy him that could play at an All-Star level.

How Howard and SVG define “a bunch of times” and how in depth those conversations are may be different. But they are communicating on some level. And they will continue to do so until the Magic fire Van Gundy this summer.

1. lakerluver - May 4, 2012 at 6:21 PM

D12 is such a phony.

2. raidmagic - May 4, 2012 at 6:31 PM

You kidding me? They could use him as he is, he’d still be the best defensive player on that team.

3. moseskkim - May 4, 2012 at 6:45 PM

I really dislike d12. He’s a physical beast and great center. But how he carries himself off the court.. Omg. And how he complains every point.. And how he jokes around but it’s not funny. People hate Lebron but I think he’s a cool cat. Dunno why he’s hated so much; probably cuz of how the media portrays him.

4. jeffw - May 4, 2012 at 6:54 PM

I can’t wait for the press to ask SVG if he has talked to D12 and he says he hasn’t spoken to him since he left the team! Get your popcorn ready…

5. phx1311 - May 4, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Hes a little sad? Wow what a joke

6. Gordon - May 4, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Must be tough in that Beverly Hills jail. What a douche.

7. thomaskouns - May 4, 2012 at 11:04 PM

D Howard obviously went to Carl Lewis acting school.

Total phoney douche.

8. ffknow - May 5, 2012 at 9:20 AM

BTW it’s they ARE tight not “their” tight… Just saying…

9. ezmagic - May 5, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Otis smith needs to get fired more than svg. He’s down graded the team every season since the ’09 season. Svg can only coach the players that have been brought in by Otis.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches