May 4, 2012, 2:30 PM EDT
Does anybody really know what to expect for Game 3 between the Bulls and Sixers?
Would it surprise you to see the Bulls and their defense return to form, shut down the Sixers and scrape out an ugly, gritty win? Would it surprise you to see Lou Williams have one of those nights he can’t miss and drive the Sixers to a win? Outside of Spencer Hawes with the one-handed, high-flying ally-oop finish what would surprise you?
This much is likely — Game 3 will set the tone for the rest of this series.
Game 1 was a comfortable Bulls win capped by Derrick Rose’s crushing knee injury. Game 2 the Bulls seemed in shock, their normally stifling defense was a sieve, and the Sixers put up 109 points and won handily.
The Bulls were a strong 18-9 without Rose in the regular season, but that is different. For one, because they were playing knowing that someday Rose would come back to them, a luxury they no longer have. Also, the playoffs give teams a chance to really adjust and adapt to what a team can do, and Doug Collins is good at those adjustments.
But this is really a game about the Bulls, will they bounce back? This is a team that up until midway this season had gone 86 losses without losing two in a row. They need to grind this into a halfcourt game, not let the Sixers get points in transition (Philly was 8-12 shooting in transition in Game 2). They need to limit Jrue Holiday’s penetration, they need to be their usual force on the boards again.
Evan Turner and Holiday had huge games for the Sixers in Game 2, but both have run hot and cold all season. Holiday was getting into the lane and hit all of his three point attempts (3-3), can you expect that for a second game in a row? Even at home.
Lou Williams is the guy you can count on for consistent offense and the Sixers will need him in this game.
Do that and it could be a big Sixers win. Or, the Bulls could still grind out a win. It’s hard to say what the mental state of either team is right now.
But both know this game is huge for the rest of this series. It will be interesting.
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10