May 3, 2012, 6:00 PM EST
CLEVELAND, Ohio — Cavaliers point guard Kyrie Irving will have a busy July representing team and country in Las Vegas.
The presumptive NBA Rookie of the Year not only will lead the Cavs’ summer-league squad, but also help prepare the U.S. Olympic basketball club as it readies for the Summer Olympics in London.
USA Basketball Chairman Jerry Colangelo confirmed that Irving will receive an invite to participate on the U.S. Select Team, which acts as a sparring partner for the Olympic team and serves as a pool of talent from which future international sides will be drawn.
Irving averaged 18.5 points and 5.4 assists in his rookie campaign, and shot an impressive 46.9%/39.9% from the field and the 3-point line. Irving, who was born in Australia, will not play for Australia’s Olympic team, because he hopes to represent Team USA in future Olympics and World Championships.
Wall, the 2010 #1 pick, averaged 16.3 points and 8.0 assists last season, but his liability of a jumper is still holding him back, as he shot just 42.3% from the field and an abysmal 0.071% from beyond the 3-point line.
Even with Derrick Rose out for the Olympics with a torn ACL, Deron Williams, Russell Westbrook, and Chris Paul will likely keep both Wall and Irving from making this summer’s Olympic roster, but there’s a good chance one or both of them will make the 2016 team if they keep working on their games.
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 0
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 16
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 17
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 21
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)