May 3, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
There’s no way for LeBron to win — other than to actually win — so he made the smart move in not bashing a Hall of Famer.
Here’s what happened: TNT analyst Reggie Miller was working the Heat’s Game 2 game when the topic of LeBron James in the offseason came up. After the Heat fell to the Mavericks last year, LeBron reached out to Magic Johnson, Hakeem Olajuwon and Isiah Thomas to pick their brains about what it takes to win a ring.
Miller thought that foolish. Here is what he said, as transcribed by the Sporting News.
“This is one of the most physically gifted guys in our league,” Miller said on TNT. “He left Cleveland, and he had every right to join one of the top five players in the league in Dwyane Wade along with Chris Bosh.
“Now he’s reaching out to Hall of Famers to see what it takes to win? Enough is enough. Go out and actually do it on your own. What do you need more help for?”
When asked to comment on this, LeBron declined.
I will avoid the easy point about LeBron not needing to reach out to Miller about what it takes to win a title. Well, almost avoid.
But this is the no-win situation LeBron has put himself in (and his detractors have put him in). He reaches out to former champs and asks how to win, and he gets people like Miller saying, “Why do you need to do that?” If he hadn’t somebody else would have stepped in and said, “Why didn’t he reach out to former champions and try to learn from them?”
He can’t win.
At least he can’t until he wins a ring. Then these questions will stop.
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 7
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 21
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 54
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 25
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 22
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 8
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 47
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 65