May 3, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
There’s no way for LeBron to win — other than to actually win — so he made the smart move in not bashing a Hall of Famer.
Here’s what happened: TNT analyst Reggie Miller was working the Heat’s Game 2 game when the topic of LeBron James in the offseason came up. After the Heat fell to the Mavericks last year, LeBron reached out to Magic Johnson, Hakeem Olajuwon and Isiah Thomas to pick their brains about what it takes to win a ring.
Miller thought that foolish. Here is what he said, as transcribed by the Sporting News.
“This is one of the most physically gifted guys in our league,” Miller said on TNT. “He left Cleveland, and he had every right to join one of the top five players in the league in Dwyane Wade along with Chris Bosh.
“Now he’s reaching out to Hall of Famers to see what it takes to win? Enough is enough. Go out and actually do it on your own. What do you need more help for?”
When asked to comment on this, LeBron declined.
I will avoid the easy point about LeBron not needing to reach out to Miller about what it takes to win a title. Well, almost avoid.
But this is the no-win situation LeBron has put himself in (and his detractors have put him in). He reaches out to former champs and asks how to win, and he gets people like Miller saying, “Why do you need to do that?” If he hadn’t somebody else would have stepped in and said, “Why didn’t he reach out to former champions and try to learn from them?”
He can’t win.
At least he can’t until he wins a ring. Then these questions will stop.
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 0
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 6
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 14
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 23
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 20
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 31
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26