May 3, 2012, 10:48 AM EDT
May 30 the NBA Draft Lottery will take place in a state the NBA has abandoned, but most of the time we will be calling the draw the “Anthony Davis Sweepstakes” because Kentucky big man will be the first guy taken in the draft.
This is a draft where GMs are saying there could be three to six future All-Stars and teams can get future rotation players into the 40s. This draft is deep. Of course, there will be busts and some GMs are going to hear the “how could you draft X over Y?” in a few years, but that’s part of the game.
However, there’s not much risk with Davis, who is long, defensive minded, hard working guy with handles and room to improve on offense. Look at the rave reviews some GMs gave Sam Amick of Sports Illustrated about Davis (hat tip to Crossover Chronicles):
One of the West general managers said Davis “is probably going to be better than Blake Griffin,” and his GM colleague upped the ante by saying he expects him to be better than 14-time All-Star and future Hall of Famer Kevin Garnett.
“There’s not one doubt in my mind that he’s going to be way better than Blake Griffin,” the second GM said. “I don’t even think it’s going to be close. I think he might end up being a little better than KG.
“He may be the quiet, humble [player] who’s not as great as Tim Duncan, but [he'll be] that kind of a person, and maybe have the game to back it up. I don’t think he gets to that [Duncan] level, but he’s going to be pretty good.”
Lofty company. The floor for him seems to be a Marcus Camby like career, and if that’s the case that’s still not bad.
We will see if he can live up to it. Where Davis fits in to me is with Derrick Rose and Kevin Durant — the new class of NBA stars who tend to be humble, hard working, good people. Not egomaniacs. There will always be those in the NBA, but the new crop of stars seems to be more grounded. We’ll see how that plays out, too.
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 15
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18