May 3, 2012, 6:20 PM EDT
NEW YORK (AP) – Miami Heat forward Chris Bosh returned to New York hours after his wife gave birth and is preparing to play in Game 3 of his team’s Eastern Conference first-round series against the Knicks on Thursday night.
Bosh left the team shortly after it arrived in New York on Wednesday night, taking a private plane back to Miami after getting word that his wife was in labor. His son – the couple’s first child – was born at 3 a.m. Thursday, said Heat coach Erik Spoelstra.
Bosh’s plane touched down in the New York area around 4:30 p.m. Thursday and he was expected to arrive at Madison Square Garden long before the 7 p.m. tipoff.
Bosh hasn’t put up huge numbers since coming to Miami, but he’s been an integral part of the team’s success — only LeBron James had a higher +/- for the Heat this season than Bosh did. Bosh will probably be underslept, but the Heat will almost certainly be thrilled to have him in the lineup for Game 3 regardless.
Obviously, that’s not the most important bit of news here — congratulations to Mr. Bosh and his wife on the birth of their son.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 3
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 20
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 15
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 50
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 32