May 3, 2012, 6:59 PM EST
Anthony Davis could go straight from winning a national championship with Kentucky to winning an Olympic gold medal with Team USA.
Davis, along with Oklahoma City guard James Harden, has been added to the pool of potential candidates that could be selected to represent the United States in London, USA Basketball President Jerry Colangelo announced.
“After a lot of deliberations, after reviewing our roster, we think these two additions strengthen our National Team program immeasurably. James Harden probably is the sixth man of the year in the NBA, and Anthony Davis brings a dimension to our pool we don’t have. He’s young, but it’s exciting to think about the possibilities,” Colangelo said in a released statement.
Team USA has been rocked by injuries. Dwight Howard, Derrick Rose, LaMarcus Aldridge and Chauncey Billups are all out with injuries. Also, Lamar Odom has been removed from consideration after his lost season.
That dropped the pool of 20 down to 15, so this adds some depth to choose from. Harden’s high-IQ game and playmaking skills should fit well in international ball. Davis doesn’t have the polished offense of some other Team USA bigs (Kevin Love, Chris Bosh) but he is a good defender and athlete. Davis along with Tyson Chandler could form a defensive stopper back line for stretches.
The other players in the pool of potential Team USA members are:
Center: Tyson Chandler.
Team USA will be selected at a training camp that starts in early July in Las Vegas.
- Dwight Howard out vs. Mavericks Saturday, no timetable for his return 1
- If Derrick Rose not ready to return by Monday Bulls may add point guard to roster 8
- Another day, another Bulls injury: Taj Gibson out with sprained ankle 11
- Report: Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook could return to Thunder lineup next week 11
- Kobe Bryant says he took large enough discount for Lakers to contend 55
- Report: Jeff Taylor won’t appeal 24-game suspension 2
- Timberwolves’ Kevin Martin out indefinitely after scoring 31 points with fractured wrist 8
- Andrei Kirilenko leaves Nets for road trip, Lionel Hollins unsure if he’ll return 15