May 3, 2012, 6:59 PM EST
Anthony Davis could go straight from winning a national championship with Kentucky to winning an Olympic gold medal with Team USA.
Davis, along with Oklahoma City guard James Harden, has been added to the pool of potential candidates that could be selected to represent the United States in London, USA Basketball President Jerry Colangelo announced.
“After a lot of deliberations, after reviewing our roster, we think these two additions strengthen our National Team program immeasurably. James Harden probably is the sixth man of the year in the NBA, and Anthony Davis brings a dimension to our pool we don’t have. He’s young, but it’s exciting to think about the possibilities,” Colangelo said in a released statement.
Team USA has been rocked by injuries. Dwight Howard, Derrick Rose, LaMarcus Aldridge and Chauncey Billups are all out with injuries. Also, Lamar Odom has been removed from consideration after his lost season.
That dropped the pool of 20 down to 15, so this adds some depth to choose from. Harden’s high-IQ game and playmaking skills should fit well in international ball. Davis doesn’t have the polished offense of some other Team USA bigs (Kevin Love, Chris Bosh) but he is a good defender and athlete. Davis along with Tyson Chandler could form a defensive stopper back line for stretches.
The other players in the pool of potential Team USA members are:
Center: Tyson Chandler.
Team USA will be selected at a training camp that starts in early July in Las Vegas.
- It’s official, Clippers agree to terms with Stephen Jackson 1
- PBT NBA Power Rankings: At the quarter pole Portland takes the lead 11
- Paul Pierce practiced Monday, could return vs. Celtics Tuesday 2
- Report: Kings not done trading, Jason Thompson next on block 4
- The Extra Pass: Raptors’ salary dump trade could mean a few more wins, too; plus Sunday recaps 1
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)