May 2, 2012, 12:58 PM EDT
Whether or not that is a good thing for the Knicks is up for debate.
But Stoudemire said he thinks he could return Sunday. Here is a tweet from Al Iannazzone of Newsday.
Stoudemire said he thinks there is ‘a great chance’ he plays Sunday
Players are always more optimistic about their return than realistic, other reports from team and league sources think he is likely out for the series. It depends on how things heal, but the description given ESPN’s Chris Broussard doesn’t make it sound like he is coming back quickly.
“Half of his hand was just hanging off. It was really bad. Blood was just squirting out. That’s why they had the paramedics come in, because they thought he might have punctured an artery because of how much blood was coming out.”
Stoudemire also said this was not a closed-fist punch, rather he just swung his arm out of frustration and his hand shattered the glass on the fire extinguisher case. He said he did it out of frustration at being down 2-0.
He is out for Game 3 Thursday and how that game goes for the Knicks could determine whether the team pushes him to return or rest.
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 19
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 7
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 34
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 24
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2