May 2, 2012, 12:58 PM EST
Whether or not that is a good thing for the Knicks is up for debate.
But Stoudemire said he thinks he could return Sunday. Here is a tweet from Al Iannazzone of Newsday.
Stoudemire said he thinks there is ‘a great chance’ he plays Sunday
Players are always more optimistic about their return than realistic, other reports from team and league sources think he is likely out for the series. It depends on how things heal, but the description given ESPN’s Chris Broussard doesn’t make it sound like he is coming back quickly.
“Half of his hand was just hanging off. It was really bad. Blood was just squirting out. That’s why they had the paramedics come in, because they thought he might have punctured an artery because of how much blood was coming out.”
Stoudemire also said this was not a closed-fist punch, rather he just swung his arm out of frustration and his hand shattered the glass on the fire extinguisher case. He said he did it out of frustration at being down 2-0.
He is out for Game 3 Thursday and how that game goes for the Knicks could determine whether the team pushes him to return or rest.
- Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying” 3
- Rockets officially sign Josh Smith, who will play Friday night; waive Tarik Black 4
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 1
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 23
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 8
- LeBron James, Stephen Curry leading in early All-Star voting returns 28
- PBT Christmas Day preview: Late game between Clippers and Warriors will see league’s best rivalry renewed 1
- PBT Extra: Top 5 NBA stories of 2014 0