May 2, 2012, 12:58 PM EDT
Whether or not that is a good thing for the Knicks is up for debate.
But Stoudemire said he thinks he could return Sunday. Here is a tweet from Al Iannazzone of Newsday.
Stoudemire said he thinks there is ‘a great chance’ he plays Sunday
Players are always more optimistic about their return than realistic, other reports from team and league sources think he is likely out for the series. It depends on how things heal, but the description given ESPN’s Chris Broussard doesn’t make it sound like he is coming back quickly.
“Half of his hand was just hanging off. It was really bad. Blood was just squirting out. That’s why they had the paramedics come in, because they thought he might have punctured an artery because of how much blood was coming out.”
Stoudemire also said this was not a closed-fist punch, rather he just swung his arm out of frustration and his hand shattered the glass on the fire extinguisher case. He said he did it out of frustration at being down 2-0.
He is out for Game 3 Thursday and how that game goes for the Knicks could determine whether the team pushes him to return or rest.
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 3
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 12
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 19
- Report: Rajon Rondo has told Celtics ‘he wants out’ 52
- World Cup Day 1 roundup: Brazil with big win, Andray Blatche puts on a show 4
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 17
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 32
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 5