May 2, 2012, 12:58 PM EDT
Whether or not that is a good thing for the Knicks is up for debate.
But Stoudemire said he thinks he could return Sunday. Here is a tweet from Al Iannazzone of Newsday.
Stoudemire said he thinks there is ‘a great chance’ he plays Sunday
Players are always more optimistic about their return than realistic, other reports from team and league sources think he is likely out for the series. It depends on how things heal, but the description given ESPN’s Chris Broussard doesn’t make it sound like he is coming back quickly.
“Half of his hand was just hanging off. It was really bad. Blood was just squirting out. That’s why they had the paramedics come in, because they thought he might have punctured an artery because of how much blood was coming out.”
Stoudemire also said this was not a closed-fist punch, rather he just swung his arm out of frustration and his hand shattered the glass on the fire extinguisher case. He said he did it out of frustration at being down 2-0.
He is out for Game 3 Thursday and how that game goes for the Knicks could determine whether the team pushes him to return or rest.
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 11
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 37
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 49
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 17
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 9
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 11