May 2, 2012, 12:58 PM EDT
Whether or not that is a good thing for the Knicks is up for debate.
But Stoudemire said he thinks he could return Sunday. Here is a tweet from Al Iannazzone of Newsday.
Stoudemire said he thinks there is ‘a great chance’ he plays Sunday
Players are always more optimistic about their return than realistic, other reports from team and league sources think he is likely out for the series. It depends on how things heal, but the description given ESPN’s Chris Broussard doesn’t make it sound like he is coming back quickly.
“Half of his hand was just hanging off. It was really bad. Blood was just squirting out. That’s why they had the paramedics come in, because they thought he might have punctured an artery because of how much blood was coming out.”
Stoudemire also said this was not a closed-fist punch, rather he just swung his arm out of frustration and his hand shattered the glass on the fire extinguisher case. He said he did it out of frustration at being down 2-0.
He is out for Game 3 Thursday and how that game goes for the Knicks could determine whether the team pushes him to return or rest.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 27
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 34
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4