May 2, 2012, 9:37 PM EST
Hmmm. How can I properly express to you the beatdown of the Spurs’ 114-83 win over the Jazz?
Imagine a Hummer driving over a camel. Or Godzilla stepping on a power transformer, only with fewer fireworks. It was kind of like a train running over a cart of moldy peaches. Or a buzzsaw ripping through wet newspaper.
There were signs that the Spurs were this much better than the Jazz in Game 1. But Utah had managed to hang for much of the game. Nothing doing in this one. The Spurs came out and dominated from the very get go. There was a 20-0 run to spark the Spurs, and that was pretty much it. They were faster to the ball, faster to the rim, faster to closer out, faster to rebound, faster to drive, faster to shoot… you get the idea.
It’s back to the drawing board for Utah, trying to figure out how to slow down, distract, momentarily get in the way of Tony Parker, how to impact the wings (Kawhi Leonard lit them up. Leonard’s really good but wing was supposed to be a marginal strength for Utah. That’s bad.), how to do, really anything against San Antonio.
The good news for Utah? They’re going home where they play well. That’s about it. Because all signs point to the Spurs having all the answers at this point. Utah needs to throw out the drawing board and start sketching something new on the wall. The Spurs? Revel in their matchup and the fact they’ll likely be getting rest for the second round.
The Spurs are in control, to say the least.
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 0
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 10
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 6
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 7
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 6
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 42
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 31