May 2, 2012, 2:04 PM EST
It’s fun to clown on Shaquille O’Neal, whether it be for his nomadic career or “Kazaam” or his performance this season on Inside the NBA on TNT. It’s a target rich environment.
But Shaq deserves some praise for this — he has continued his education through his playing days up to now and this Saturday will receive his doctorate in education from Miami Shores university. The Sun Sentinel has the details (via Inside Hoops).
For 4 1/2 years, the former Miami Heat center took 16 courses, completed 54 credit hours and carried a grade point average of 3.813, according to the university. The 40-year-old’s exact degree is in Organizational Learning and Leadership, with a specialization in human resource development.
“He was a good student,” said Dr. David M. Kopp, chairman of the university’s Organizational Learning and Leadership program. “He is very intellectually curious. He is like a sponge, he takes everything in.”
Shaq being Shaq, he had things come to him a little. Literally. He had professors fly out for some one-on-one classes as well as doing a lot of video conferencing.
But the fact is he got the degree. He may never use it, but he is far from the first person to get a degree then do something else. Good for him, getting it done. It is something to be very proud of.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Thunder don’t look like playoff team yet 0
- Report: Hornets, Nets talking possible Lance Stephenson for Joe Johnson trade 6
- Hassan Whiteside posts 14-point, 13-rebound, 12-block triple-double in Heat win over Bulls (VIDEO) 30
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 10
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 46
- Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge 20