May 2, 2012, 2:04 PM EDT
It’s fun to clown on Shaquille O’Neal, whether it be for his nomadic career or “Kazaam” or his performance this season on Inside the NBA on TNT. It’s a target rich environment.
But Shaq deserves some praise for this — he has continued his education through his playing days up to now and this Saturday will receive his doctorate in education from Miami Shores university. The Sun Sentinel has the details (via Inside Hoops).
For 4 1/2 years, the former Miami Heat center took 16 courses, completed 54 credit hours and carried a grade point average of 3.813, according to the university. The 40-year-old’s exact degree is in Organizational Learning and Leadership, with a specialization in human resource development.
“He was a good student,” said Dr. David M. Kopp, chairman of the university’s Organizational Learning and Leadership program. “He is very intellectually curious. He is like a sponge, he takes everything in.”
Shaq being Shaq, he had things come to him a little. Literally. He had professors fly out for some one-on-one classes as well as doing a lot of video conferencing.
But the fact is he got the degree. He may never use it, but he is far from the first person to get a degree then do something else. Good for him, getting it done. It is something to be very proud of.
- NBA players’ union head believes new labor deal can be reached without a work stoppage 6
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 17
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 25
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 43
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 22
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29