May 2, 2012, 6:26 PM EDT
Lately, [Young and Arenas] have been seeing each other plenty. In Memphis, the Clippers are staying at a hotel across the street from the arena, the same hotel Arenas moved into when he got to town. Young’s room is just a few floors above Arenas’, not that he spends much time in it. He’s downstairs, with Gilbert.
For hours Arenas and Young hang out, rekindling a friendship that was unceremoniously torn apart. They don’t do much. They watch television. They watch game film. And they talk trash. Arenas feeds Young disinformation (“We’re going to double you here”) and Young (“What do you know? You play like 10 minutes a game”) fires back. When they are hungry, they go eat. When they want to shop, they go to the mall. When they want coffee, they go to Starbucks together.
“Gil is like my family,” Young said. “His sons call me ‘uncle.’ It’s been really good to see him.”
Arenas and Young were, of course, teammates in Washington, which was a team with serious problems both on and off the court — problems which were often caused by Arenas and Young’s behavior, specifically Arenas’ decision to bring guns into the locker room. Now that both players have found their way into the playoffs, they’re putting their past behind them and focusing on their friendship, as well as the task at hand — beating each other’s teams.
Young was an integral part of the Clippers’ epic comeback win in game 1, as he came off the bench to hit 3 three-pointers in exactly one minute to cut the Grizzlies’ lead from 12 points to 3 points with just over a minute remaining. Arenas, who spent most of the season as an unsigned free agent, isn’t as important to his team as Young is, but he’s still being relied upon as a backup option at the point guard spot.
While we all love to see players battling it out on the court like nothing else matters, it’s also good to see stories like this, when we’re reminded that friendships can be more important than uniforms — at least until the opening tip.
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 13
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 21
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 31
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 9
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 24
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 23
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2