May 2, 2012, 5:38 PM EST
The Jazz are mapping a more physical game plan for All-Star Tony Parker after the Spurs point guard shredded them for 28 points in Game 1. Jazz point guard Devin Harris said his counterpart will likely be in for a ”hard foul or two” after Parker slashed into Utah’s big and bruising frontcourt without hesitation.
It wasn’t tough talk from Harris, who had complimented Parker in the same breath. Jazz center Al Jefferson said the goal was ”not to hurt him or nothing like that,” but rather to dissuade Parker from barreling into the paint and punishing Utah with either an acrobatic layup or kicking out to a 3-point shooter.
”The playoffs is physical. We just can’t let him feel like he can come down in that paint any time he ready,” Jefferson said.
Parker brushed off the warning Tuesday. He’s heard worse.
”It’s not the first time someone has said that,” Parker said. ”My answer is always going to be the same: I’m going to keep coming.”
Parker torched the Jazz for 28 points on 10-19 shooting and 8 assists in San Antonio’s 106-91 defeat of the Jazz in Game 1. Parker is clearly the “head of the snake” for San Antonio’s offense right now, and the Jazz will have to slow him down in tonight’s Game 2 if they want to have any chance of evening up the series before it goes to Salt Lake City. As NBA fans, all we can hope is that the Jazz don’t cross the line with Parker when they try to muscle him up and cause another injury in a playoffs that has already seen to many of them.
- Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying” 10
- Rockets officially sign Josh Smith, who will play Friday night; waive Tarik Black 6
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 1
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 24
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 8
- LeBron James, Stephen Curry leading in early All-Star voting returns 30
- PBT Christmas Day preview: Late game between Clippers and Warriors will see league’s best rivalry renewed 1
- PBT Extra: Top 5 NBA stories of 2014 0