May 2, 2012, 4:22 PM EDT
Chandler deserved the award, as the anchor that lifted the Knicks from one of the worst in the league last year to 5th in points allowed per possession (98.4 points per 100 possessions, according to NBA.com stats database). He controlled the paint and cleaned up the mess of “defenders” like Carmelo Anthony and Amare Stoudemire. Chandler blocked shots but he did much more than that — he can defend other bigs on the block, is good showing out on the pick-and-roll and generally is just disruptive on defense.
Chandler was humble at his press conference.
“To me it’s really a team thing. I know I’m here to accept as an individual but it’s definitely a team award,” Chandler said at a press conference at the Knicks’ training facility.
The people who voted Serge Ibaka need to not be so fascinated with blocks and watch his team and one-on-one defense. He’s not good in space and is middle of the pack statistically in any category that is not coming from the weakside to block shots. Not great in the post, not great on bigs who can step out. Nowitzki is making plays on Ibaka plenty these playoffs. Ibaka is elite at sending the ball flying on a block but that is not defense. People that voted him first, or even second or third, are doing it wrong.
The other guys on the list all deserve their standing. Frankly, LeBron coming in fourth may people not wanting him to win this and MVP. Which he likely will.
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 3
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 20
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 30
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49