May 2, 2012, 4:22 PM EDT
Chandler deserved the award, as the anchor that lifted the Knicks from one of the worst in the league last year to 5th in points allowed per possession (98.4 points per 100 possessions, according to NBA.com stats database). He controlled the paint and cleaned up the mess of “defenders” like Carmelo Anthony and Amare Stoudemire. Chandler blocked shots but he did much more than that — he can defend other bigs on the block, is good showing out on the pick-and-roll and generally is just disruptive on defense.
Chandler was humble at his press conference.
“To me it’s really a team thing. I know I’m here to accept as an individual but it’s definitely a team award,” Chandler said at a press conference at the Knicks’ training facility.
The people who voted Serge Ibaka need to not be so fascinated with blocks and watch his team and one-on-one defense. He’s not good in space and is middle of the pack statistically in any category that is not coming from the weakside to block shots. Not great in the post, not great on bigs who can step out. Nowitzki is making plays on Ibaka plenty these playoffs. Ibaka is elite at sending the ball flying on a block but that is not defense. People that voted him first, or even second or third, are doing it wrong.
The other guys on the list all deserve their standing. Frankly, LeBron coming in fourth may people not wanting him to win this and MVP. Which he likely will.
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 0
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 32
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 47
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 16
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 9
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 11