May 2, 2012, 8:46 AM EST
The Hawks have enough trouble after a Celtics team without Rajon Rondo evened the series Tuesday night, now they may have to go without one of their two best players.
Josh Smith left the court with 4:20 remaining after a collision with Kevin Garnett (video is below) and did not return. While this is not a Derrick Rose-like blowout, it is a sprain Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo tweeted.
Atlanta’s Josh Smith has sprained patella ligament in knee, source tells Y! “He walked out of arena w/ no help, just gingerly,” source says.
This would be a blow for the Hawks — he had 16 points and 12 boards in Game 2, and the Hawks were down 2 with the ball when he left the game but fell apart after and lost by 7. Smith is the key to the Hawks getting points and rebounds in the paint, providing some balance on offense. If he cannot go Atlanta loses a major weapon.
The Hawks are already without the best big man in Al Horford and Zaza Pachulia is hoping to return later in this series. Without Smith the Hawks will give Boston a steady diet of Jason Collins and Ivan Johnson. That will not be enough against Kevin Garnett and Brandon Bass.
Video via @Jose3030
- The Extra Pass: The league’s leading lineups; plus Tuesday’s recaps 0
- Tuesday night NBA Grades: Kobe plays pretty well, Suns’ backcourt plays better 1
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat 21
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 26
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 12
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (56)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade (35)
- Fan wanders onto court while game is going on during Cavaliers-Clippers (VIDEO) (34)