May 2, 2012, 5:22 PM EDT
Any discussion of Game 2 between the Clippers and Grizzlies has to start at the end of Game 1, when a 28-3 run by Los Angeles led to an improbable comeback win.
It was devastating to Memphis. Can the Grizzlies put that behind them and bounce back?
If the Grizzlies can, will the Clippers be able to alter the course of the first 40 minutes of that game when they were owned by Memphis? Can the Clippers overcome the loss of Caron Butler with a broken hand?
You can bet you will see a desperate Memphis team that knows it cannot go down 0-2 at home. You can bet the Clippers will be motivated now and make this a closer contest throughout:
Three things to watch:
1) How do the Clippers defend Rudy Gay now? Caron Butler gave the Clippers a veteran, physical wing defender, although the Grizzlies did a good job of forcing bigs to switch onto Gay off picks, then Gay took advantage. But Butler broke his hand. Now? At the three it may be Nick Young, who brings a lot of offense but not much defense. Vinny Del Negro’s other options is the steady but unspectacular Bobby Simmons. Either way the Grizzlies can’t let Memphis switch him into mismatches that he can exploit. Although Young is already a mismatch. Basically, Gay may have a big day and the Clippers have to counter it
2) Can the Clippers get Blake Griffin going, too? Chris Paul is the guy who make s the Clippers offense go. He’s the man. But Griffin is a tough defensive matchup — he has moves and can score out of the post, and if you bring the double he’s a better passer than you think. The Clippers need to counter what Zach Randolph and Marc Gasol can do by making them work on defense and getting Griffin going is key. They need more than just him dunking in transition.
3) Can Zach Randolph get going? Last season he was the reason the Grizzlies upset the Spurs — he was a force in the low block. He has fantastic footwork that creates space for a guy with an amazingly soft touch. But he is not yet 100 percent and it has looked that way. They need him, they need him to make Blake Griffin work (or get in foul trouble), they need his buckets. He will be key.
Sep 24, 2014, 12:30 AM EDT
Nash was limited to just 15 games last season.
Sep 23, 2014, 11:29 PM EDT
Cuban let Chandler leave in free agency in the summer following the Mavs’ lone NBA title.
Sep 23, 2014, 10:30 PM EDT
No deal yet, but training camp is less than a week away, so both sides are motivated to expedite the process.
Sep 23, 2014, 8:02 PM EDT
Memphis is the latest team to try to salvage the former second overall pick in the 2008 draft.
Sep 23, 2014, 7:32 PM EDT
Not bad, but very Hawks-like.
Sep 23, 2014, 6:31 PM EDT
Kobe Bryant, Derrick Rose among the more intriguing names on the list.
Sep 23, 2014, 5:29 PM EDT
What is Ricky Rubio worth on the open market.
Sep 23, 2014, 4:16 PM EDT
It’s a play off what Seattle and Denver have done before.
Sep 23, 2014, 3:29 PM EDT
Danny Ainge has done a good job with keeping his options open.
Sep 23, 2014, 2:38 PM EDT
Adam Silver also says league isn’t looking into owners’ pasts
Sep 23, 2014, 2:02 PM EDT
Pierce signed for mid-level exception with Wizards
Sep 23, 2014, 1:26 PM EDT
James reportedly received guaranteed contract
Sep 23, 2014, 12:50 PM EDT
Not a lot of people will see the building from above, and it’s early in the process, but…. that’s not pretty.
Sep 23, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT
The many times Toronto and Kyle Lowry could have blown it with each other
Sep 23, 2014, 11:38 AM EDT
He’s already the best midrange shooter in the game.
Sep 23, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Heat guard getting style from fictional Miami serial killer
Sep 23, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
Pacers ready for season without Paul George, Lance Stephenson
Sep 23, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
Lamb, after playing for Bucks and Magic, likely to fall out of NBA following training camp
Sep 23, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Reed, previously a member of Kings and Grizzlies, in line to compete for roster spot
- Report: Suns, Eric Bledsoe have ‘made progress’ on a new contract in last couple of days 1
- Report: Michael Beasley reaches agreement with Memphis Grizzlies 5
- Report: NBA not actively investigating source of Luol Deng African comment 5
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Indiana Pacers 3
- Celtics owner: Rajon Rondo ‘super stubborn,’ harder than average to coach 19
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 18
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 13
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 16