May 1, 2012, 8:14 AM EDT
The Charlotte Bobcats do not have a lot of talent on their roster. It’s a small market team with an owner who is not spending — not big on coaches or players. They have cap space and a good spot in this year’s lottery, but this is a team as far away from being good as any team has ever been.
So who wants to be their next head coach?
Well, that list grows if they land the top pick in the draft lottery and Anthony Davis is on the way. Still, it’s not a job a coach with options or who wants a big paycheck is going to jump at — you can pretty much strike Phil Jackson off the list now. This is more the like a job for a first timer or a guy looking for a shot at redemption.
Sam Amick of Sports Illustrated speculated a little. One name he had as a potential is Magic assistant Patrick Ewing, who talked about the job with owner Michael Jordan before Paul Silas was hired.
Or might his Error-ness be looking at a worthy up-and-comer, someone like Pacers assistant Brian Shaw, Warriors assistant Michael Malone or Silas’ son, Stephen, who carried a heavy load as an assistant both on his father’s Bobcats staff and with Golden State under Don Nelson?
Former Warriors and Kings coach Eric Musselman could be worthy of another look, too. He was named NBA Development League Coach of the Year last week for leading the Los Angeles D-Fenders to a league-record 38 wins and the Western Conference title in his first season.
Might want to ask Kings fans about Musselman. Stil, I think those names are more likely than Nate McMillan or another name coach.
The other question is how much of a role GM Rich Cho plays in the process. Is this Cho’s hire with a Jordan stamp of approval, or is Jordan driving this process? Based on Jordan’s track record of decisions with this franchise, let’s hope Cho gets a shot here.
- Report: NBA considering week-long break for All-Star Game next year 0
- Report: Knicks made (ridiculous) offer to trade for Kevin Love 31
- Report: Lakers finally offer coaching position to Byron Scott, deal expected soon 24
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 41
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 31
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 16
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 58
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 61