May 1, 2012, 8:14 AM EDT
The Charlotte Bobcats do not have a lot of talent on their roster. It’s a small market team with an owner who is not spending — not big on coaches or players. They have cap space and a good spot in this year’s lottery, but this is a team as far away from being good as any team has ever been.
So who wants to be their next head coach?
Well, that list grows if they land the top pick in the draft lottery and Anthony Davis is on the way. Still, it’s not a job a coach with options or who wants a big paycheck is going to jump at — you can pretty much strike Phil Jackson off the list now. This is more the like a job for a first timer or a guy looking for a shot at redemption.
Sam Amick of Sports Illustrated speculated a little. One name he had as a potential is Magic assistant Patrick Ewing, who talked about the job with owner Michael Jordan before Paul Silas was hired.
Or might his Error-ness be looking at a worthy up-and-comer, someone like Pacers assistant Brian Shaw, Warriors assistant Michael Malone or Silas’ son, Stephen, who carried a heavy load as an assistant both on his father’s Bobcats staff and with Golden State under Don Nelson?
Former Warriors and Kings coach Eric Musselman could be worthy of another look, too. He was named NBA Development League Coach of the Year last week for leading the Los Angeles D-Fenders to a league-record 38 wins and the Western Conference title in his first season.
Might want to ask Kings fans about Musselman. Stil, I think those names are more likely than Nate McMillan or another name coach.
The other question is how much of a role GM Rich Cho plays in the process. Is this Cho’s hire with a Jordan stamp of approval, or is Jordan driving this process? Based on Jordan’s track record of decisions with this franchise, let’s hope Cho gets a shot here.
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 3
- Reports: Bulls getting closer to firing Tom Thibodeau 21
- PBT Extra: Despite ending, Hawks had season worth celebrating 3
- Bucks’ Jared Dudley: “Most guys don’t want to play with Kobe” 61
- PBT Extra: Expect a healthy Stephen Curry for Game 5… sorry Houston 4
- Hawks’ excellent season shouldn’t be discredited because of playoff exit 24
- Cavaliers complete sweep of Hawks, advance to NBA Finals 82
- Kyrie Irving back in Cavaliers lineup for Game 4 vs. Hawks 5