May 1, 2012, 8:31 PM EDT
The good news out of Amare Stoudemire’s meeting with a hand specialist in New York was there was no ligament or nerve damage. It went much better than his meeting with a glass-encased fire extinguisher the night before.
But he did have minor surgery on his left hand, reports David Aldridge at NBA.com.
According to the team, Stoudemire was seen by a hand specialist this afternoon at the Hospital for Special Surgery. The surgeon repaired a small muscle. He will not play Game 3 on May 3 and is listed as doubtful for Game 4 on May 6.
Aldridge added his source said Stoudemire was done for the first round (which would be the playoffs unless the Knicks have some real magic at home). Other reports have said the same thing. Don’t expect to see him back.
It’s got to be hard for Stoudemire, who came to New York and was the face of a Knicks revival until Carmelo Anthony was brought in, then it all change. The coach and system that worked well for you was pushed aside because ‘Melo didn’t give his full effort for him. Now Carmelo gets 26 shots in a playoff game and you get 9. He’s got to be pissed.
Still, nobody wins when punching a fire extinguisher.
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 21
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 15
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 33
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 25