May 1, 2012, 8:31 PM EDT
The good news out of Amare Stoudemire’s meeting with a hand specialist in New York was there was no ligament or nerve damage. It went much better than his meeting with a glass-encased fire extinguisher the night before.
But he did have minor surgery on his left hand, reports David Aldridge at NBA.com.
According to the team, Stoudemire was seen by a hand specialist this afternoon at the Hospital for Special Surgery. The surgeon repaired a small muscle. He will not play Game 3 on May 3 and is listed as doubtful for Game 4 on May 6.
Aldridge added his source said Stoudemire was done for the first round (which would be the playoffs unless the Knicks have some real magic at home). Other reports have said the same thing. Don’t expect to see him back.
It’s got to be hard for Stoudemire, who came to New York and was the face of a Knicks revival until Carmelo Anthony was brought in, then it all change. The coach and system that worked well for you was pushed aside because ‘Melo didn’t give his full effort for him. Now Carmelo gets 26 shots in a playoff game and you get 9. He’s got to be pissed.
Still, nobody wins when punching a fire extinguisher.
- Report: Kings probing John Calipari about his interest in coaching and running the team’s front office 9
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 18
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 29
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 31
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 42
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24