May 1, 2012, 8:31 PM EDT
The good news out of Amare Stoudemire’s meeting with a hand specialist in New York was there was no ligament or nerve damage. It went much better than his meeting with a glass-encased fire extinguisher the night before.
But he did have minor surgery on his left hand, reports David Aldridge at NBA.com.
According to the team, Stoudemire was seen by a hand specialist this afternoon at the Hospital for Special Surgery. The surgeon repaired a small muscle. He will not play Game 3 on May 3 and is listed as doubtful for Game 4 on May 6.
Aldridge added his source said Stoudemire was done for the first round (which would be the playoffs unless the Knicks have some real magic at home). Other reports have said the same thing. Don’t expect to see him back.
It’s got to be hard for Stoudemire, who came to New York and was the face of a Knicks revival until Carmelo Anthony was brought in, then it all change. The coach and system that worked well for you was pushed aside because ‘Melo didn’t give his full effort for him. Now Carmelo gets 26 shots in a playoff game and you get 9. He’s got to be pissed.
Still, nobody wins when punching a fire extinguisher.
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 16
- Warriors survive James Harden in Game 2, take 2-0 lead in Western Conference finals 16
- PBT Extra: No DeMarre Carroll leaves Hawks in tough spot 4
- PBT Extra: J.R. makes case for hot hand theory, is loved in Cleveland 7
- PBT Extra: Draft Lottery winners start with Lakers 23
- Stephen Curry, LeBron James unanimous choices, lead All-NBA First Team 24
- Rockets vs. Warriors Game 2: Five things to watch 8
- Hawks face uphill climb after DeMarre Carroll injury 10