May 1, 2012, 8:31 PM EDT
The good news out of Amare Stoudemire’s meeting with a hand specialist in New York was there was no ligament or nerve damage. It went much better than his meeting with a glass-encased fire extinguisher the night before.
But he did have minor surgery on his left hand, reports David Aldridge at NBA.com.
According to the team, Stoudemire was seen by a hand specialist this afternoon at the Hospital for Special Surgery. The surgeon repaired a small muscle. He will not play Game 3 on May 3 and is listed as doubtful for Game 4 on May 6.
Aldridge added his source said Stoudemire was done for the first round (which would be the playoffs unless the Knicks have some real magic at home). Other reports have said the same thing. Don’t expect to see him back.
It’s got to be hard for Stoudemire, who came to New York and was the face of a Knicks revival until Carmelo Anthony was brought in, then it all change. The coach and system that worked well for you was pushed aside because ‘Melo didn’t give his full effort for him. Now Carmelo gets 26 shots in a playoff game and you get 9. He’s got to be pissed.
Still, nobody wins when punching a fire extinguisher.
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 36
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 62
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 10
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 33
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 16
- Report: Stan Van Gundy tells Josh Smith, barring unexpected trade, forward will start season with Pistons 8
- Mike Krzyzewski would trade Andrew Wiggins for Kevin Love with “not one second of hesitancy” 76