May 1, 2012, 10:54 PM EDT
Knicks center Tyson Chandler to be named NBA Defensive Player of the Year tomorrow at team practice facility, source tells YahooSports.
No reason to doubt this is true.
Chandler was the anchor of what became a good defense in New York (even under Mike D’Antoni this season). His ability to control the paint and block or alter shots, covering for sins on the perimeter, let the Knicks get away with playing some questionable defensive lineups. Like any time Carmelo Anthony and Amare Stoudemire were paired.
Chandler was the MVP of the Knicks this season and they don’t even make the playoffs without him. He deserves this award.
- Sunday NBA grades: Golden State’s Curry, Thompson put on a show 0
- Heat execute in final minutes, Rockets still learning, fall in Miami 16
- Doc Rivers, Clippers players oppose raising NBA’s age limit 23
- Report: LeBron ‘will look at’ Knicks in free agency now that Phil Jackson is in place 69
- Phil Jackson to Knicks could work. It probably won’t, but it could. 32