May 1, 2012, 9:50 AM EDT
Let that be a lesson to our young readers — do not punch metal and glass objects.
Actually, you probably didn’t need that reminder.
Amare Stoudemire did. He slammed his fist into a metal and glass fire extinguisher case out of frustration as he walked down the hall to the locker room after the Knicks Game 2 loss to the Heat. He ended up needing stitches to stop the bleeding on his hand and now likely will miss Game 3 Thursday. Here is what ESPNNewYork.com wrote:
A league source told ESPNNewYork.com that Stoudemire is “almost certain” to miss Game 3 on Thursday in New York and there is a possibility that Stoudemire could miss the rest of the series.
Stoudemire is going to see a hand specialist to determine the extent of the problem, to see if tendons or ligaments were damaged, according to Frank Isola of the New York Daily News.
“We just know right now that he has a laceration and he’s probably going to be out,” Tyson Chandler said. “It’s tough, obviously. Amar’e is a huge part of this team. Without him, it’s going to make it more difficult. We already lost one player [Iman Shumpert]. That’s two players out of the starting lineup. It makes it tougher.”
Stoudemire has apologized for his actions on twitter. I’m sure the New York Post took that into consideration when they wrote the headline “Bloody Idiot” for the paper’s Tuesday edition.
On the court, no Stoudemire is one less option the Heat have to spread their defense out to cover. They can focus more on making life difficult for Carmelo Anthony. The Knicks margin for error to beat the Heat was already small, it just got minuscule. While the team may be used to playing without him, they are not better when he can’t play.
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 12
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43