Knicks Stoudemire injures hand after loss… punching fire extinguisher?

May 1, 2012, 12:37 AM EDT

Knicks forward Stoudemire leaves the American Airlines Arena with his hand in a sling after his team's loss to the Heat in Game 2 of their first round NBA Eastern Conference basketball playoff in Miami Reuters

May 1, 12:37 am: Amare Stoudemire tweeted this:

I am so mad at myself right now, I want to apologize to the fans and my team, not proud of my actions, headed home for a new start

April 30, 11:01 pm: This is the most intensity Amare Stoudemire has shown all playoffs.

Frustrated after he seemed to stand around all game watching the offense run through Carmelo Anthony on the way to another Knicks playoff loss, Amare Stoudemire punched a glass-encased fire extinguisher on his way back to the locker room, sources told Ken Berger of CBSSports.com, as well as other reports on twitter. That led to lacerations on his hand that needed to be stitched up, according to multiple reports.

There was a busted up fire extinguisher case near the Knicks locker room. The Knicks confirmed Stoudemire hurt himself after the game but no details. We don’t know if this was a “classic” punch or just him slamming the side of his hand into the extinguisher case in frustration as he walked past.

What we do know is that there was a lot of blood, paramedics put some stitches into Stoudemire’s left hand (we don’t know how many) and he left the arena with his hand in a bandage and his arm in a sling. He is not getting X-rays (yet) and he is leaving New York with the team.

His status for Game 3 Thursday is currently unknown.

Coach Mike Woodson as well as Carmelo Anthony both said they did not know what happened or have any updates on Stoudemire.

The Knicks should be frustrated. But while Stoudemire has not played great this series he is a threat and if he is out it allows the Heat to turn their focus more toward Anthony and other Knicks threats. Basically, this isn’t good.

1. dirtyjerseysports - Apr 30, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Truth be told. He swung at a teammate missed and hit the fire estinguisher.

• massivedick - May 1, 2012 at 9:27 AM

yea, hopefully it was at melo for being a dickhead

2. redbullenergydrink - Apr 30, 2012 at 11:09 PM

With or without Stoudemire, the Knicks are toast.

• gmen4life33 - May 1, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Go ahead and laugh, I said the same thing about the NYG winnin the Super Bowl this year, when they needed to win the last 2 to just get in the playoffs. I just have that feeling…. And no I don’t think my teams are going to win it all every year, but I saw the way the Knicks offense flowed with our Amare (Melo playing the 4), I know the swagger the Knicks play with at MSG, I know what a healthy Chandler does to MIA, and I know hot the Heat perform under pressure

• dirtyjerseysports - May 1, 2012 at 12:26 AM

I have watched the Knicks the last decade…. Its a sweep.

• dirtyassfish - May 1, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Your Giants won, congrats. your Kicks are going home.

• snoopy2014 - May 1, 2012 at 7:50 AM

I do think the Knicks can actually play better without Amare, because that lineup with Melo at the 4 was killer. The problem with your theory: Miami is the only team in the league that wants desperately to play smallball and has a wing player that plays better at the 4 than Melo.

A smallball lineup with Lebron at the 4 trumps a smallball lineup with Melo at the 4. And it plays Miami’s hands, because they get their most useless centers off the floor.

3. mungman69 - Apr 30, 2012 at 11:11 PM

He didn’t do a real smart thing. The Knicks are in trouble anyway and they need to keep all of the players healthy that they can.

4. jbraxton3rd - Apr 30, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Dumb!! And they just gave him a $100 million contract.

• aqzi - May 1, 2012 at 12:48 AM

Uninsured, too

5. jordanaires - Apr 30, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Turn out the lights…the party’s over, Knicks.

6. dannyocean83 - Apr 30, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Leaving New York with the team? The game was in Dade County. Get with it.

7. delfi2 - May 1, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Its a wrap. Predict a sweep, with or without A’mare. )p

Any question who is the best player on the planet? A top 5 talent in D-Wade answered that for us the other day.

LBJ take whats yours.

New title town – MIA

• iknowzeroaboutsports - May 1, 2012 at 1:08 AM

This isn’t even an intelligent Miami-fan comment.

• delfi2 - May 1, 2012 at 9:12 AM

iknowzeroaboutsports……your name says it all buddy. just shut your mouth.

8. doctordunkenstein - May 1, 2012 at 12:06 AM

Amare Stoudemire, now hunting fire extinguishers in South Beach. My guess is he was aiming for Carmelo and missed…

• dirtyassfish - May 1, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Kinda like amare was the basket huh?

9. pitolove124 - May 1, 2012 at 12:42 AM

His frustration had nothing to do with getting the ball – he was frustrated at not getting any calls.

10. 11jlacy - May 1, 2012 at 12:58 AM

The hundred millon dollar hand bad move my man,!!!!

11. captainwisdom8888 - May 1, 2012 at 12:58 AM

Amare Stoudemire vs a fire extinguisher….and a subsequent loss.

12. emaimo80 - May 1, 2012 at 1:01 AM

Gaymanforlife:Knicks are going to win this series. I know that sounds crazy, but it’s going to happen. Knicks win 3 at home and game 7. I’ve watched every MIA/NYK series, and I just have a gut feeling.

Really? Have you even watched this series? I think you may be more delusional than Donovan Mcnabb. Then again you probably don’t even know who that is. Has to do with football. (nongayman sport u little fruitcake). Let’s go Heat’

13. thomaskouns - May 1, 2012 at 1:02 AM

Of course he was frustrated, he plays with the most overrated player in the league – no D all about me Carmelo Anthony.

14. ajpurp - May 1, 2012 at 1:03 AM

The Knicks were toast 3 weeks ago when they refused to play strategically due to an interim head coach who desperately wants to keep his job and win as much as possible…except NY hasn’t won a series in a decade, so what’s more important? The good coaches, Pop and Jackson, always thought about the long run/who they matched up with the best. NY matches up better with Chicago, and now with D-Rose out, we made a fatal error by not letting Philly surpass us and it was over weeks ago when Mia was set at two and NY was on a collision course right for em.

15. Justin - May 1, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Melo with 26 shots and 1 assist. I don’t care how skilled you are offensively this will not win playoff series. I got ripped on here when I said it before. Yes, Melo can be unstoppable but the Heat have the guy that may be best suited to stop him, Lebron. Still some games left so they do stand a chance.

16. asublimeday - May 1, 2012 at 1:33 AM

Carmelo anthony just got a boner at the idea of taking even more of the offense upon himself.

17. asublimeday - May 1, 2012 at 1:36 AM

——————
    Ahhhhhhhahahaha

Somebody from Miami just called somebody a fruitcake. Did you mean that ironically? Or you’re trying to reclaim the word as your own?

18. detroitcityryda - May 1, 2012 at 1:40 AM

New start means out for playoffs and most likely traded in off season ,it’s either him or melo and at this point it’s gotta bs him .theyjust don’t fit together melo is a star ball hog who takes the shot instead of looking for open man and amare needs a guard that’s not selfish to feed him inside like Nash and lin did .best fit for him would be a team like wolves with Ricky Rubio dishing it out or nets if d will stays .

19. transam7816 - May 1, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Someone didn’t get enough attention as a child….

• 24thesho - May 1, 2012 at 7:38 AM

You should read his story before you make comments.

20. detroitcityryda - May 1, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Heat fans all rowdy after 2 wins you will beat the knicks but in finals the real face of le-choke will show .don’t see you beating thunder or spurs last year together for the big 3 i mean….bust 3

21. 4thquartermagic - May 1, 2012 at 1:53 AM

Classic playoff game for a team centered around Carmelo Anthony. (No I’m not saying it’s his fault)

He’s the best shooter in the game, however he will NEVER win a championship with himself being the CENTER of the offense.

He makes his teammates worse because they just stand around and watch him jab-stepping his way to difficult shots.

Melo is a great offensive player but he isn’t dynamic enough to carry a team to a ring BY HIMSELF.

(Course neither is Lebron)

22. cheers4ablumpkin - May 1, 2012 at 2:32 AM

Idiot

23. mlhlite - May 1, 2012 at 5:23 AM

Amare is a tool, but most us guys have done something like that before. My problem is with ppl saying Melo can’t/want pass. He was prob assist leader pre lin, running point foward. Why pass unless Tyson is under the basket if you’re him. Just saying

24. marlin1894 - May 1, 2012 at 6:06 AM

gmen4life33

If you’re right, you’ll be a genius. If you’re not, you won’t sound any more ridiculous than you do now. What does ten-plus years ago have to do with what’s happening now?

25. rosesacl - May 1, 2012 at 6:18 AM

knicks might get 1 win

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches