May 1, 2012, 12:37 AM EDT
I am so mad at myself right now, I want to apologize to the fans and my team, not proud of my actions, headed home for a new start
April 30, 11:01 pm: This is the most intensity Amare Stoudemire has shown all playoffs.
Frustrated after he seemed to stand around all game watching the offense run through Carmelo Anthony on the way to another Knicks playoff loss, Amare Stoudemire punched a glass-encased fire extinguisher on his way back to the locker room, sources told Ken Berger of CBSSports.com, as well as other reports on twitter. That led to lacerations on his hand that needed to be stitched up, according to multiple reports.
There was a busted up fire extinguisher case near the Knicks locker room. The Knicks confirmed Stoudemire hurt himself after the game but no details. We don’t know if this was a “classic” punch or just him slamming the side of his hand into the extinguisher case in frustration as he walked past.
What we do know is that there was a lot of blood, paramedics put some stitches into Stoudemire’s left hand (we don’t know how many) and he left the arena with his hand in a bandage and his arm in a sling. He is not getting X-rays (yet) and he is leaving New York with the team.
His status for Game 3 Thursday is currently unknown.
Coach Mike Woodson as well as Carmelo Anthony both said they did not know what happened or have any updates on Stoudemire.
The Knicks should be frustrated. But while Stoudemire has not played great this series he is a threat and if he is out it allows the Heat to turn their focus more toward Anthony and other Knicks threats. Basically, this isn’t good.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 5
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 11
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5
- Morris twins sign four-year extensions with Suns 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Washington Wizards 3
- Rockets’ Daryl Morey fires back at Mark Cuban: If you care about chemistry, why break up a title team? 36