May 1, 2012, 12:37 AM EDT
I am so mad at myself right now, I want to apologize to the fans and my team, not proud of my actions, headed home for a new start
April 30, 11:01 pm: This is the most intensity Amare Stoudemire has shown all playoffs.
Frustrated after he seemed to stand around all game watching the offense run through Carmelo Anthony on the way to another Knicks playoff loss, Amare Stoudemire punched a glass-encased fire extinguisher on his way back to the locker room, sources told Ken Berger of CBSSports.com, as well as other reports on twitter. That led to lacerations on his hand that needed to be stitched up, according to multiple reports.
There was a busted up fire extinguisher case near the Knicks locker room. The Knicks confirmed Stoudemire hurt himself after the game but no details. We don’t know if this was a “classic” punch or just him slamming the side of his hand into the extinguisher case in frustration as he walked past.
What we do know is that there was a lot of blood, paramedics put some stitches into Stoudemire’s left hand (we don’t know how many) and he left the arena with his hand in a bandage and his arm in a sling. He is not getting X-rays (yet) and he is leaving New York with the team.
His status for Game 3 Thursday is currently unknown.
Coach Mike Woodson as well as Carmelo Anthony both said they did not know what happened or have any updates on Stoudemire.
The Knicks should be frustrated. But while Stoudemire has not played great this series he is a threat and if he is out it allows the Heat to turn their focus more toward Anthony and other Knicks threats. Basically, this isn’t good.
- Report: If Kevin Love leaves Cavaliers, Lakers are team to beat in free agency 26
- Rumor: Kevin Love out minimum of two weeks, will likely miss most or all of series vs. Bulls 38
- Monta Ellis, J.J. Barea pairing ignites Mavericks offense, gets Dallas Game 4 win over Houston 9
- Wizards blow out Raptors to complete first-round sweep 17
- Chris Paul scores 34 points, Clippers win Game 4 to even series with Spurs 6
- Cavaliers advance to second round – but but maybe lose Kevin Love and moral high ground in process 61
- Mike Conley out for Game 4 with “serious” facial injury, no timetable for return 6
- Grizzlies start fast, hang on to beat Portland, take 3-0 series lead 2