Apr 30, 2012, 11:50 AM EDT
We all expect that it will come down to the USA vs. Spain for the gold medal at the London Olympics this summer.
But Team USA is going to get a few tests on the way. FIBA conducted the draw for group play in the Olympics and the United States certainly ended up in the tougher group
Group A: Argentina, France, Tunisia, USA, Qualifier Tournament one, Qualifier Tournament two
Group B: Australia, Brazil, China, Great Britain, Spain, Qualifier Tournament three
The USA will have to play Manu Ginobili and Luis Scola’s Argentinian team that will be a test, as will Tony Parker led France. Both those squads have NBA and high level European league players and have played together for years. Lose to one of them in pool play and the USA could wind up on Spain’s side of the single-elimination tournament that follows pool play.
If you just asked what qualifier tournament means, it is teams that just missed out in regional qualifying tournaments last summer that will go to a second chance tournament before the Olympics this year. There are some good teams in that tournament such as Russia, Puerto Rico, Lithuania and Greece.
This is just another challenge for Team USA, but first they have to figure out who is on the roster.
- Spurs/Grizzlies preview: Game 2 will be closer, but will that be enough for Memphis? 0
- Report: Dwight Howard told Lakers GM he was frustrated with D’Antoni 23
- Durant, Thunder players tweet out support for Oklahoma City 6
- Brothers allege entourage of Damian Lillard beat them for taking his picture 18
- Amar’e Stoudemire still thinks Knicks’ front court trio can work 17
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (119)
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (87)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (73)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay