Apr 30, 2012, 8:13 AM EDT
Back in January USA Basketball released a list of 20 players, a pool from which the United States basketball team for the London Olympics would be chosen.
But due to injuries, that list is down to 15. Derrick Rose’s ACL injury puts him on the shelf, along with Dwight Howard, LaMarcus Aldridge and Chauncey Billups. (Lamar Odom also is out after his season with the Mavericks.)
While recently he said differently, the Rose injury has USA Basketball head honcho Jerry Colangelo telling Sam Amick at Sports Illustrated he may need to expand that pool.
“What I said [previously] was that we didn’t plan to do any additions, but we had to continue to monitor the injury situation,” Colangelo said. “Obviously this is a big loss. [Point guard] seems to be, at this point, still a pretty strong position. But at this stage, quite honestly, I think all bets are off.”
I still think the 15 they have in the pool is enough. Here is my dozen:
Center: Tyson Chandler.
You could make the argument that Iggy or Gay should be in and Griffin out because of Griffin’s iffy outside shot and not even iffy free throw shooting. I can see that, but I’d stick with Griffin’s size because at points the USA will need it. They could have used someone like Andrew Bynum but he said he is not playing this summer.
Still, however you divide it up Team USA will be very good. Providing the rash o injuries stops
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 11
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 17
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 29
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 9
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 24
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 23
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2