Apr 30, 2012, 8:13 AM EDT
Back in January USA Basketball released a list of 20 players, a pool from which the United States basketball team for the London Olympics would be chosen.
But due to injuries, that list is down to 15. Derrick Rose’s ACL injury puts him on the shelf, along with Dwight Howard, LaMarcus Aldridge and Chauncey Billups. (Lamar Odom also is out after his season with the Mavericks.)
While recently he said differently, the Rose injury has USA Basketball head honcho Jerry Colangelo telling Sam Amick at Sports Illustrated he may need to expand that pool.
“What I said [previously] was that we didn’t plan to do any additions, but we had to continue to monitor the injury situation,” Colangelo said. “Obviously this is a big loss. [Point guard] seems to be, at this point, still a pretty strong position. But at this stage, quite honestly, I think all bets are off.”
I still think the 15 they have in the pool is enough. Here is my dozen:
Center: Tyson Chandler.
You could make the argument that Iggy or Gay should be in and Griffin out because of Griffin’s iffy outside shot and not even iffy free throw shooting. I can see that, but I’d stick with Griffin’s size because at points the USA will need it. They could have used someone like Andrew Bynum but he said he is not playing this summer.
Still, however you divide it up Team USA will be very good. Providing the rash o injuries stops
- Hawks cruise to underwhelming Game 1 win over Nets 3
- Kyrie Irving aces, Kevin Love passes first playoff test in Cavaliers win over Celtics 15
- James Harden and Dwight Howard show Mavericks what they’re missing in Rockets’ Game 1 win 10
- Derrick Rose looks like his old self as Bulls beat Bucks in Game 1 19
- Warriors strong enough to outlast Anthony Davis and Pelicans in Game 1 7
- Paul Pierce leads Wizards to overtime Game 1 win over Raptors 6
- Q&A: Corey Brewer on trade from Timberwolves, his 51-point game, Harden’s MVP case, Rockets vs. Mavericks 3
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 10