Apr 30, 2012, 8:13 AM EST
Back in January USA Basketball released a list of 20 players, a pool from which the United States basketball team for the London Olympics would be chosen.
But due to injuries, that list is down to 15. Derrick Rose’s ACL injury puts him on the shelf, along with Dwight Howard, LaMarcus Aldridge and Chauncey Billups. (Lamar Odom also is out after his season with the Mavericks.)
While recently he said differently, the Rose injury has USA Basketball head honcho Jerry Colangelo telling Sam Amick at Sports Illustrated he may need to expand that pool.
“What I said [previously] was that we didn’t plan to do any additions, but we had to continue to monitor the injury situation,” Colangelo said. “Obviously this is a big loss. [Point guard] seems to be, at this point, still a pretty strong position. But at this stage, quite honestly, I think all bets are off.”
I still think the 15 they have in the pool is enough. Here is my dozen:
Center: Tyson Chandler.
You could make the argument that Iggy or Gay should be in and Griffin out because of Griffin’s iffy outside shot and not even iffy free throw shooting. I can see that, but I’d stick with Griffin’s size because at points the USA will need it. They could have used someone like Andrew Bynum but he said he is not playing this summer.
Still, however you divide it up Team USA will be very good. Providing the rash o injuries stops
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 24
- Report: Knicks have ‘zero intention’ of trading Carmelo Anthony 12
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 6
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 22
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 17
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (48)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (45)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)