Apr 30, 2012, 11:34 AM EDT
It has sounded like someone with a terminal illness around the Chicago Bulls since Derrick Rose blew out his ACL at the end of the Bulls Game 1 win over Philadelphia Saturday. Everyone (including myself) has said they are fine for now — they can still get past the Sixers — but the writing is on the wall long term. They will not survive to the finals now.
Coach Tom Thibodeau went Mark Twain and said the death of the Chicago Bulls has been greatly exaggerated, reports CSNChicago.com.
“Derrick’s not only a great player, he’s a great teammate, he’s a great person, but it’s not a death sentence,” head coach Tom Thibodeau told reporters after Sunday’s practice. “It’s not a death sentence for him, it’s not a death sentence for our team. He’s going to come back. He’ll come back better than ever. It’s just the way it is and we’ve got to deal with.”
“Our margin for error is a lot smaller with Derrick out,” center Joakim Noah said. “Can you replace a guy like Derrick? No. But it’s on us to step up as much as possible. Just cause Derrick’s not on the court, there’s still a game to be played on Tuesday and we’re going to fight as hard as we can and make the city proud.”
But it’s hard to see the Bulls getting past the Celtics or Hawks, let alone the Heat, without the dynamism that Rose brings to the Bulls. The Bulls and Rose are not dead, they’re just not going to be alive a long time in these playoffs anymore.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 0
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 3
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 26
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 21
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 17
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6