Apr 30, 2012, 11:34 AM EDT
It has sounded like someone with a terminal illness around the Chicago Bulls since Derrick Rose blew out his ACL at the end of the Bulls Game 1 win over Philadelphia Saturday. Everyone (including myself) has said they are fine for now — they can still get past the Sixers — but the writing is on the wall long term. They will not survive to the finals now.
Coach Tom Thibodeau went Mark Twain and said the death of the Chicago Bulls has been greatly exaggerated, reports CSNChicago.com.
“Derrick’s not only a great player, he’s a great teammate, he’s a great person, but it’s not a death sentence,” head coach Tom Thibodeau told reporters after Sunday’s practice. “It’s not a death sentence for him, it’s not a death sentence for our team. He’s going to come back. He’ll come back better than ever. It’s just the way it is and we’ve got to deal with.”
“Our margin for error is a lot smaller with Derrick out,” center Joakim Noah said. “Can you replace a guy like Derrick? No. But it’s on us to step up as much as possible. Just cause Derrick’s not on the court, there’s still a game to be played on Tuesday and we’re going to fight as hard as we can and make the city proud.”
But it’s hard to see the Bulls getting past the Celtics or Hawks, let alone the Heat, without the dynamism that Rose brings to the Bulls. The Bulls and Rose are not dead, they’re just not going to be alive a long time in these playoffs anymore.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 0
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11
- Report: Cavaliers trade Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, two second-round picks to Portland 17
- Blake Griffin, Stephen Curry among latest big names headed to Team USA mini-camp 8
- Kyrie Irving off crutches, cleared by doctors to start working out 8
- Report: Becky Hammon gaining traction around the NBA as “serious” head-coaching candidate 43