Apr 30, 2012, 5:25 PM EDT
“I’m saddened to learn of the accusations that were filed against me today. At this time I cannot comment further other than to say that my attorneys are working to gather all the facts and evidence and I plan to cooperate completely with the authorities.
“I’d like to apologize to the Lakers organization and to all of their fans for the untimeliness of these accusations. I promise to keep my focus and attention on the playoffs during this time and to helping my team with another championship.”
Hill practiced with the Lakers Monday but needs to be in a courtroom at 9:30 a.m. Tuesday morning. His avialablity for the Lakers game Tuesday night is unknown.
UPDATE 2:48 pm: We have some more details in the case now. Via the Los Angeles Times:
The woman, Darlene Luna, threw his two cellphones to the floor and was hit in the legs by Hill, who pulled her off a sofa and dragged her toward the cellphones before throwing her against a wall. Hill then put her in a chokehold, which caused her to gasp for air, according to the complaint.
The woman flew back to her residence in Orlando and called police in Houston about four weeks later, on March 29. Luna emailed pictures of bruises on her legs and upper body and also copies of plane tickets to and from Houston. She had been in a relationship with Hill for about two years.
This is her account of what happened and is part of the complaint filed against him. I imagine his account of what happened is different and will come out at another time.
Hill has to appear in court in Houston Tuesday morning at 9:30 central time. His availability for the game that night is in question.
The Lakers have a team option to pick up Hill for next season if they want.
1:34 pm: Jordan Hill, the former first round draft pick of the Knicks who came to the Lakers at the trading deadline, has been charged with felony assault for choking a family member in Houston earlier this year.
Here is the report from TMZ.
The charge was filed by the Harris County District Attorney in Houston. It’s unclear whom Hill is accused of attacking. The alleged incident took place on February 29. If convicted, Hill faces up to 10 years in prison.
There are not a lot of details and I’m not going to speculate on what happened. On his twitter account, Hill seemed surprised to learn of the charges.
Hill was drafted by the Knicks out of Arizona and played the past couple of seasons with the Rockets. He was traded to the Lakers as part of the Derek Fisher deadline deal. Hill has not played a lot for the Lakers but has had an increasing role in recent weeks.
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 5
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 12
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 14
- Report: Stan Van Gundy tells Josh Smith, barring unexpected trade, forward will start season with Pistons 7
- Mike Krzyzewski would trade Andrew Wiggins for Kevin Love with “not one second of hesitancy” 70
- Mario Chalmers: “I never thought anybody would want to leave Miami for Cleveland” 66
- Las Vegas Summer League review: How did Andrew Wiggins, other lottery picks fare? 14