Lakers backup center Jordan Hill charged with choking family member

Apr 30, 2012, 5:25 PM EST

Jordan Hill AP

UPDATE #2 5:26 PM: Jordan Hill has released an official statement on the charges, via Mike Trudell at Lakers.com.

“I’m saddened to learn of the accusations that were filed against me today. At this time I cannot comment further other than to say that my attorneys are working to gather all the facts and evidence and I plan to cooperate completely with the authorities.

“I’d like to apologize to the Lakers organization and to all of their fans for the untimeliness of these accusations. I promise to keep my focus and attention on the playoffs during this time and to helping my team with another championship.”

Hill practiced with the Lakers Monday but needs to be in a courtroom at 9:30 a.m. Tuesday morning. His avialablity for the Lakers game Tuesday night is unknown.

UPDATE 2:48 pm: We have some more details in the case now. Via the Los Angeles Times:

The woman, Darlene Luna, threw his two cellphones to the floor and was hit in the legs by Hill, who pulled her off a sofa and dragged her toward the cellphones before throwing her against a wall. Hill then put her in a chokehold, which caused her to gasp for air, according to the complaint.

The woman flew back to her residence in Orlando and called police in Houston about four weeks later, on March 29. Luna emailed pictures of bruises on her legs and upper body and also copies of plane tickets to and from Houston. She had been in a relationship with Hill for about two years.

This is her account of what happened and is part of the complaint filed against him. I imagine his account of what happened is different and will come out at another time.

Hill has to appear in court in Houston Tuesday morning at 9:30 central time. His availability for the game that night is in question.

The Lakers have a team option to pick up Hill for next season if they want.

1:34 pm: Jordan Hill, the former first round draft pick of the Knicks who came to the Lakers at the trading deadline, has been charged with felony assault for choking a family member in Houston earlier this year.

Here is the report from TMZ.

The charge was filed by the Harris County District Attorney in Houston. It’s unclear whom Hill is accused of attacking. The alleged incident took place on February 29. If convicted, Hill faces up to 10 years in prison.

There are not a lot of details and I’m not going to speculate on what happened. On his twitter account, Hill seemed surprised to learn of the charges.

Wowwwww

Unbelievable!!!!!!!!

Hill was drafted by the Knicks out of Arizona and played the past couple of seasons with the Rockets. He was traded to the Lakers as part of the Derek Fisher deadline deal. Hill has not played a lot for the Lakers but has had an increasing role in recent weeks.

1. williegault - Apr 30, 2012 at 1:45 PM

I am willing to bet $100 that it was his little sister, or like a octogenarian grandma in a wheelchair.

I went to U of A with this guy, and it was almost laughable at what a wuss he was… and we had Channing Frye to compare him to.

I used to just watch him run down the court like a TRex, with 2 little limp-wristed hands flopping around.

• Hoss - Apr 30, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Such a tough man you must be.

• williegault - May 1, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Or, more importantly, what a tough man he must be… Choking a girl.

At 6’10”, the guy could probably choke a girl and type out a text message with the same hand.

Yet, he averages less than 6 pts a game. He’s soft.

• 24thesho - May 1, 2012 at 6:56 AM

Well, he’s playing in the NBA, now, isn’t he?

2. lew24 - Apr 30, 2012 at 2:00 PM

When I read choking in the headlines, I thought for sure it had something to do with the Grizzlies!

• mannyfresh209 - Apr 30, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Womp womp wompppp

• franchiseplaya - Apr 30, 2012 at 2:32 PM

haha beat me to it but I was gonna say Lebron!

3. opshuns - Apr 30, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Four weeks later???

• fouldwimmerlaik - Apr 30, 2012 at 3:16 PM

I agree. That sounded like the most interesting fact in the article. She took the pictures (presumably) while the bruises were still fresh, but didn’t call the police until four weeks later. Plus, she emailed pictures of her plane tickets. Huh?

4. BigBeachBall - Apr 30, 2012 at 3:25 PM

sooooo he’s not allowed to assault his little sister?

5. dal24la - Apr 30, 2012 at 3:30 PM

WTF? Is it not enough we lost Ron Ron, now we might lose Hill to?
    Also wondering why it took so long to get an arrest warrant. And why she threw his phones on ground.

6. dal24la - Apr 30, 2012 at 3:30 PM

WTF? Is it not enough we lost Ron Ron, now we might lose Hill to?

7. tsi431 - Apr 30, 2012 at 3:52 PM

He is balla’ rich. He has 2 Boost Mobile phones. I am jealous.

8. thestudiokida - Apr 30, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Some girls are into that…

9. kingjeremi84 - Apr 30, 2012 at 4:11 PM

sounds like willie jelous.maybe its becuse hill is in the nba and he’s not, its never cool to make fun of former teamates.played high school ball and i never make fun at a guy personal situation,we were like fam

• williegault - Apr 30, 2012 at 5:40 PM

1. I’ll make fun of anyone.

2. He wasn’t a teammate… I went to school at the same time.

3. He is a physical freak of nature. Sadly, mentally he’s a puppy dog… That is, apparently, unless it’s against a girl.

4. Is English your first language?

10. iamtooreal - Apr 30, 2012 at 5:02 PM

She probably decided to file a police report after she heard about him being a Laker. If he was still in Houston, she would probably care less. Just like a Kardashian, always looking to cash in.

11. rosesacl - Apr 30, 2012 at 6:15 PM

this choking incident pissed Hill off, now he’s playing like a beast… is it related?

12. tampajoey - Apr 30, 2012 at 6:26 PM

It’s ok to choke your own member, but don’t choke a family member.

13. gbr437 - Apr 30, 2012 at 7:40 PM

10 to 1 the accuser went through Hill’s phone and learned of some unfaithful activities. Hmmmm. And why would she not file charges when the incident occurred? Hmmmm. I’ll tell you why! MONEY! MONEY! MONEY!!!!!!

14. namriverrat69 - Apr 30, 2012 at 8:33 PM

She threw the phones down because she count not find any golf clubs.

15. detroitcityryda - May 1, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Choke a bit** son

16. abchome - May 1, 2012 at 7:06 AM

She probably watched Hill play 2 or 3 games lately, and thinks Hill is a big time NBA player now.

17. deadwoodcity - May 1, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Allegedly, we don’t know if this stuff happened, didn’t happened, or is an exaggeration of what happened. If this happened, sad, if it didn’t happen, good, but still sad. To report an incident like this thirty days after the fact without any proof doesn’t help your case.

18. 00maltliquor - May 1, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Hmmmm…it’s been OVER a month since he came to the Lakers, just in the last 3 games the coach took the restraining straps off his bench, Hill gets major minutes now and producing double doubles, and in the playoffs playing for The Lakers and NOOOOW she’s reporting this!??!

I ain’t saying she a gold digger, but she ain’t messing with no broke…

Could Sixers be worst team in NBA history?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches