Apr 30, 2012, 5:14 PM EDT
Celtics point guard Rajon Rondo will be suspended for Game 2 of their playoff series against the Hawks Tuesday night, the league announced. Celtics president Danny Ainge had confirmed the suspension to A. Sherrod Blakely of CSNNE.com minutes before the league made it official
“Rondo has been our best player and it obviously hurts us,” C’s president of basketball operations Danny Ainge, told CSNNE.com. “Someone else is going to have to step up and make it not as painful without Rondo out there.”
Rondo was thrown out late in Game 1 when he bumped official Marc Davis after arguing a call. The league rule calls for a one game suspension for any player that intentionally makes contact with a referee. The only way it couldn’t be a suspension is if it was considered an accident, and while Rondo stumbled it is clear his bump of the official is intentional.
Boston already lost Game 1 to Atlanta and winning Game 2 without Rondo will be a challenge. The alternative for Boston is going down 2-0 in the series, meaning they would need to win four of the final five games to win the series. A tall order against a quality Hawks team.
- Tony Parker, Spurs penetration is puzzle Grizzlies can’t solve 1
- Spurs take commanding 3-0 lead over Grizzlies with overtime win in Game 3 6
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 35
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 22
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?