Apr 30, 2012, 2:37 PM EST
You want to know why Derrick Rose was still on the court with his team up 12 and less than two minutes to go in a playoff game Saturday? Go watch the Clippers comeback on the Grizzlies from Sunday night.
This is the playoffs, not some random mid-season Tuesday night game in Sacramento. You don’t take chances, you lock down wins. These are good teams that can come back on you and playoff wins are too important to squander.
Rose suffered a freak injury, a torn ACL, during those closing minutes, and he is now lost for the Bulls for the remainder of the playoffs. Chicago’s title aspirations blew up along with his knee.
But the Bulls front office is not coming down on Thibodeau. Nor should they. Here is what Bulls GM Gar Forman told NBA.com.
“There is absolutely no issue there,” Forman said. “It’s a playoff game. They had cut a lead down to 12. We’re going to have our guys on the floor making sure we win the game.”
What’s more, Rose’s minutes this season and in games were not a contributing factor. That’s not what the Thibodeau detractors are saying. Maybe it is what you are saying. I could point you to all the doctors saying that ACL tears are not overuse injuries, but that’s only going to work if you believe in doctors and logic. If you are convinced this is Thibodeau’s fault because you need to blame someone other than fate, so be it. But it’s not his fault.
And what matters is the Bulls front office gets it.
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 0
- Report: JaVale McGee close to signing with Celtics 25
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 17
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 13
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 6