Apr 30, 2012, 2:37 PM EST
You want to know why Derrick Rose was still on the court with his team up 12 and less than two minutes to go in a playoff game Saturday? Go watch the Clippers comeback on the Grizzlies from Sunday night.
This is the playoffs, not some random mid-season Tuesday night game in Sacramento. You don’t take chances, you lock down wins. These are good teams that can come back on you and playoff wins are too important to squander.
Rose suffered a freak injury, a torn ACL, during those closing minutes, and he is now lost for the Bulls for the remainder of the playoffs. Chicago’s title aspirations blew up along with his knee.
But the Bulls front office is not coming down on Thibodeau. Nor should they. Here is what Bulls GM Gar Forman told NBA.com.
“There is absolutely no issue there,” Forman said. “It’s a playoff game. They had cut a lead down to 12. We’re going to have our guys on the floor making sure we win the game.”
What’s more, Rose’s minutes this season and in games were not a contributing factor. That’s not what the Thibodeau detractors are saying. Maybe it is what you are saying. I could point you to all the doctors saying that ACL tears are not overuse injuries, but that’s only going to work if you believe in doctors and logic. If you are convinced this is Thibodeau’s fault because you need to blame someone other than fate, so be it. But it’s not his fault.
And what matters is the Bulls front office gets it.
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 16
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 17
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 21
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 15
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)