Apr 30, 2012, 2:37 PM EDT
You want to know why Derrick Rose was still on the court with his team up 12 and less than two minutes to go in a playoff game Saturday? Go watch the Clippers comeback on the Grizzlies from Sunday night.
This is the playoffs, not some random mid-season Tuesday night game in Sacramento. You don’t take chances, you lock down wins. These are good teams that can come back on you and playoff wins are too important to squander.
Rose suffered a freak injury, a torn ACL, during those closing minutes, and he is now lost for the Bulls for the remainder of the playoffs. Chicago’s title aspirations blew up along with his knee.
But the Bulls front office is not coming down on Thibodeau. Nor should they. Here is what Bulls GM Gar Forman told NBA.com.
“There is absolutely no issue there,” Forman said. “It’s a playoff game. They had cut a lead down to 12. We’re going to have our guys on the floor making sure we win the game.”
What’s more, Rose’s minutes this season and in games were not a contributing factor. That’s not what the Thibodeau detractors are saying. Maybe it is what you are saying. I could point you to all the doctors saying that ACL tears are not overuse injuries, but that’s only going to work if you believe in doctors and logic. If you are convinced this is Thibodeau’s fault because you need to blame someone other than fate, so be it. But it’s not his fault.
And what matters is the Bulls front office gets it.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 14
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32