Apr 30, 2012, 4:36 AM EST
When things went wrong for the Clippers for the first 39 minutes of Game 1 against Memphis, they went terribly wrong. They were able to come back from most of that and get the win.
But one thing will linger — Caron Butler has a broken left hand and will be out at least a month, the team reports. That will keep another Clipper with playoff experience on the bench (Chauncey Billups is already there). It also robs them of another valuable wing defender to throw at Rudy Gay.
The broken hand happened on a relatively innocent defensive play, Butler went back to the locker room for X-rays then was back on the bench, reports ESPNLosAngeles.com.
“I was about to go back in the game, and got the X-ray results,” Butler said. “I told Coach I was ready, and he was about to throw me back in the fire.”
Butler had a dozen points in Game 1. The Clippers have players with the physical tools to step up, but they will miss the playoff experience.
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 1
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 7
- LeBron James, Stephen Curry leading in early All-Star voting returns 16
- PBT Christmas Day preview: Late game between Clippers and Warriors will see league’s best rivalry renewed 1
- PBT Extra: Top 5 NBA stories of 2014 0
- Five things to watch as NBA takes over Christmas Day 16
- Cavaliers center Anderson Varejao tears Achilles, done for season 30
- Miami Heat fans were hurt when LeBron left, they may let him hear it. Somewhat. 24