Video: Rajon Rondo bumps official, gets ejected (and likely suspended)

Apr 29, 2012, 10:55 PM EST

Rajon Rondo has the right to be frustrated with this call by referee Marc Davis, it was a bad call. All the Celtics should be frustrated with their team’s play Sunday in a loss in Game 1.

But you cannot bump an official. Ever. Under any circumstances.

Rondo said after the game that he didn’t mean to bump the official, that he thought Davis would keep walking. Watch the video, decide for yourself. I don’t buy it.

Rondo first claps his hands in front of the official, to get a tech, then bumps Davis. He was instantly ejected. That also likely means a suspension for Game 2. Which is a big game for the Celtics now, they don’t want to go down 0-2.

1. redstar504 - Apr 29, 2012 at 11:00 PM

The dude is a punk. This is constantly happening with him re: the reffs. There is the rumor he blew up at his coach for saying something critical about his game. He won’t play for team USA that is really going to need him now because of the loss of Derick Rose.

Rondo really needs to grow up and learn to keep his emotions in check better. He is a good player but he keeps shooting himself in the foot.

• redbullenergydrink - Apr 30, 2012 at 3:01 AM

Rondo can shoot?!

• mornelithe - Apr 30, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Um…yeah, he had what, 20 pts last night?

• lew24 - Apr 30, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Shooting himself in the foot? As long as his foot is not 15 feet away he should be able to hit it!

• ksingleton101 - Apr 30, 2012 at 11:41 AM

What is this teaching our younger generation? Where is the respect?

2. cfroggerton - Apr 29, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Hedo Turkoglu was suspended a game for touching a ref in a non threatening way against the Bulls earlier this year, so I suspect that chest bumping one after mocking him would deserve at least 1. Possibly 2.

3. j0esixpack - Apr 29, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Dumbass.

(and I say that as a Celtics fan)

4. ksctychiefs - Apr 29, 2012 at 11:33 PM

after reading another article /report on this game the incident sounded kinda innocent….but after seeing the video replay on espn rondo clearly,completely and intentionally was within the refs space,and was trying hard to intimidate him…..one game suspension coming,if not two…

5. bobulated - Apr 30, 2012 at 12:08 AM

I know when I stumble by tripping on someone’s heel I always arch my back and bow my chest into them to help maintain my balance.

6. jjordannba - Apr 30, 2012 at 12:11 AM

If this were the regular season they probably would suspend him, but since its the playoffs and because of the bad call they probably wont suspend him but there will be a fine

7. iknowzeroaboutsports - Apr 30, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Playoffs or no playoffs, one game suspension. Can’t touch a ref. Ever.

• chuckj1234 - Apr 30, 2012 at 1:04 AM

I saw the game live and it was clearly a intentional bump.

8. cdog0o7 - Apr 30, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Hmmm.

For Artest they measured player history to extend his suspension (7 games for an elbow when the Max EVER was 2.)

In this season – Rondo was already suspended 2 games for throwing a ball at an official.

So, by NBA logic – Rondo should get at least 3 games – He hasn’t learned his lesson.

• lew24 - Apr 30, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Good point cdog!

9. mornelithe - Apr 30, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Terrible, terrible decision on Rondo’s part, I’m sure he was extremely frustrated, but that’s not an excuse. From the first angle, he clearly looks like he does it intentionally, from the second though, you could be forgiven for not noticing what is pretty obvious intent. I would expect a suspension myself.

Anyone know how the officiating was in this game? I wasn’t able to see the game in it’s entirety, but I did catch a few (a couple goal tending calls one you couldn’t tell, the 2nd clearly wasn’t). Can’t imagine how pissed you’d get over time when you can look up on big screen monitor and see every single terrible call a ref makes over an entire season…

Still, Rondo should know better by now, and he can’t hide behind the ‘Hot-headed young kid’ excuse forever.

10. moseskkim - Apr 30, 2012 at 1:41 AM

he really did slightly trip and the ref did stop moving. im not saying he didnt bump him. he lost his balance. it wouldve probably been better if he grabbed the refs shoulders in an attempt to not bump into him. he led in with his chest. the contact was so slight. free rondo. cmon. the hedo comparison and regular season comparisons are not the same. playoff suspensions are so much more significant.
    on the other hand, if he does get suspended, celtics probably win anyway. atlanta just isnt that good. this is the same hawk team that almost lost to the celtics playing without the un”big” 3 and their best player, rondo.

• anythingbutyanks - Apr 30, 2012 at 8:18 AM

Haha…you’re talking about a player who can get to the rim while being pushed, shoved and hacked and not lose his balance, but someone nicked his heal and thank God a ref was there to break his fall!

• sasquash20 - Apr 30, 2012 at 4:47 PM

When will these morons learn not to get up in the refs space? It isn’t like they change calls because these guys get in there face. Stupid, just plain stupid.

11. marvac312 - Apr 30, 2012 at 6:51 AM

Before you call Rondo immature or whaterver you want it. Let’s not forget KG getting suspended for game two in 2010 against the Heat in round one. Pierce ejected last year in the heat series, and let’s not toss him under the bus. Because we’ve seen this from others in this time. In fact he was the only celtic playing his full potential and his best in that game.

12. abchome - Apr 30, 2012 at 7:21 AM

Quote of the Day – “It’s as unintentional as MWP’s elbow.”

13. anythingbutyanks - Apr 30, 2012 at 8:16 AM

I can only imagine how PISSED KG, Ray and Pierce must be with Rondo right about now. I hope they don’t hold back, ’cause he needs to learn NOW. NBA has too many immature, whiny punks these days. There’s a difference between a badazz and someone like Rondo.

• florida727 - Apr 30, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Couldn’t agree more. KG, Pierce and Allen had to have read him the riot act in the locker room after the game. BTW, I think this is the very first time I’ve ever seen the words “badazz” and “Rondo” used in the same sentence. He’s an over-rated punk who intentionally used his chest to make contact with the ref and isn’t even man enough to admit it.

• dano51 - Apr 30, 2012 at 12:54 PM

True there are too many punks in the NBA but Allen is the only one that is a class act. I like KG but he has had his fair share of trouble. As for Pierce walks around like he owns the team. Whole team needs an attitude adjustment. Most east coast teams do…

14. dman6015 - Apr 30, 2012 at 8:24 AM

Wow. Sorry, Rondo. As much as I love the Celtics, that was intentional. Just look at the video. You moved your chest forward into the ref even after realizing he had stopped walking. Does it deserve a multiple game suspension? No.

15. nofunleague - Apr 30, 2012 at 8:45 AM

My reason for not watching Pro basketball any longer. The officiating is the worst of any major sport and the players are all prima donas..Turn the channel.

• davidly - Apr 30, 2012 at 8:58 AM

I didn’t read your comment.

• southbeachtalent - Apr 30, 2012 at 4:22 PM

So no football either huh?

I didn’t read your comment either.

16. loungefly74 - Apr 30, 2012 at 8:49 AM

hmmm….I’m a Laker fan…but I would be fine with a 1 game suspension. heck, if Rondo can prove that he tripped into the ref (c’mon guys, its was a very slight bumb/touch) on his appeal…maybe just a $ fine…it’s the playoffs…let them play! I’m already pissed about Rose, Shumpert, and MWP…don’t need more crap/bad news that hurts the quality of the playoffs…

17. mister12 - Apr 30, 2012 at 9:19 AM

No one is perfect; however, the NBA has a strict policy for any employee expressing concern of a games officiating. My question is when will they find a way to hold officials accountable for bad calling. Im not a Celtics fan, but I do love the game regardless of who’s playing. The ref missed the previous out of bounds call and comes right back the next play to call a loose ball foul when the best call was jump ball. The out of bounds call was clearly reviewable but he didnt even opt for it. Smells like home cooking to me…

• mornelithe - Apr 30, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Yeah, I’m not saying any contact with refs is ok, because it’s certainly not. But I sincerely hope the league realizes that eventually you’re going to come across a player who has so little grasp of their temper that suspension, fine etc… isn’t going to be enough of a deterrent, and possibly see a Ref get hurt or something.

I think it’s time to stop protecting Ref punishment. All leagues, NBA, MLB, NFL etc… say they discipline refs, but always out of the public’s eye. Players are punished in the public’s eye, management is punished in the public’s eye. Why aren’t the refs? All it does is give the impression that they get a slap on the wrist…if that (not saying that’s the case, but without knowing what the ref got, assumptions run wild). And really, is the refs punishment anywhere near as costly as a blown playoff game? Or a down the stretch regular season game?

18. kalooz - Apr 30, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Are you saying that was a bad call? Really? Bass almost rips Josh Smith’s head off (actually does rip his headband off). There’s no way that’s a bad call.

I’m guessing you’re saying that because it’s the end of the game?

19. jayinatlanta - Apr 30, 2012 at 10:15 AM

So Kurt Helin, you’re going on record as saying this was a bad call?

Why? There was extraordinary contact by the Celtics player against the Hawks player. How the Hell is that not a foul?

As for the bump, of course it was intentional.

Speaking as a lifetime Hawks fan, I can tell you that we are extremely pissed that Rondo took the All-Star spot that should have gone to Josh Smith (as a replacement for the injured Joe Johnson). At the time, Rondo had just gotten off a suspension for throwing a ball at a ref, AND the Hawks were ahead of the Celtics in the standing and playing much better than them, yet David Stern still saw fit to award the slot to Rondo.

The Hawks are looking forward to going to the second round of the playoffs for the FOURTH straight year, which is rare for teams in today’s NBA. Meanwhile, Rondo apparently can’t learn to respect NBA officials. He should be suspended for a minimum of two games and he and the Celtics should spend the summer and early fall thinking about how they can rebuild their team.

20. JB (the original) - Apr 30, 2012 at 12:16 PM

His foot did skip a bit, but it seems pretty obvious that he thrust his chest into the ref’s back.

21. pglive21 - Apr 30, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Um, so what exactly was the bad call? Bass obviously reached over Smith and knocked him down without getting the ball. So how exactly did Marc Davis make a bad call? That was a clear foul.

Just as a clarifier, I’m not commenting at all on the Rondo-Marc Davis spat that got him the technicals and the ejection. Only the original personal foul call. Kurt, you need to grow some new eyes.

Jabari Parker injury latest for disappointing rookie class
Top 10 NBA Player Searches