Nike designer mocks Derrick Rose’s injury, connects it to signing with Adidas, because people are terrible
Apr 29, 2012, 11:28 AM EST
Update: The designer, who built LeBron’s shoes, I might add, has apologized on Twitter.
Wow!Twitterverse I do apologize.It was really just tongue n cheek! Never meant any harm or disrespect!
— Jason Petrie (@sevenzro1) April 29, 2012
Saturday night after Derrick Rose tore his ACL and was rendered out for the season, a Nike designer tweeted the following regarding Derrick Roe and his association with adidas:
You got one guy only getting stronger, and one guy breaking down before our very eyes. You chose poorly Pooh… #shouldasignedwithNIKE #GWS
See, the hashtag is nice, because we couldn’t pick up what he was trying to say otherwise. It clearly designates his position on the issue. Granted, he’s the only person on the planet who would connect which shoe company he chose with a series of injuries, but still, it’s nice that he gave the blueprint for just what he was trying to say. The most amazing part? As of 11:20 a.m. on Sunday morning, after Yahoo! Sports posted on it, he still hasn’t deleted the tweets.
Not only that, but cruise on over to that Yahoo! link and check out his defense of his position. He’s playing the “I”m outlandish and if y’all don’t like it, too bad!” card which works, if, you know, you’re a civil rights activist or even a shock jock radio host. But if you’re some dude on the internet that’s making fun of a player for enduring a serious injury when you work for a company that deals with professional athletes, that’s not such a good look.
Rose suffered a terrible injury. It’s a freak injury. These things happen to Nike guys, to Gatorade guys, to Powerade guys, to everyone. And this approach isn’t going to win him any favors with anyone… least of all his bosses at Nike.
- Report: JaVale McGee close to signing with Celtics 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 9
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 12
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 6
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18